🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Do we get our connects back if our offers...
Page options
steeny
Community Member

Do we get our connects back if our offers are refused?

If we send a cover letter to someone who is seeking an editor or proofreader, and they choose someone else for the job, do we get our connects back? (I have used up all my free connects already in the few days since I joined. Not making any money, buying more connects isn't yet possible.)
7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

No, you don’t receive your connects back if a client chooses another freelancer.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “Not making any money, buying more connects isn't yet possible.“

You are not dependent on free connects. You may purchase connects directly at any time. You do not need to use earnings to purchase connects. You may use PayPal or a credit card.

I meant I am not making any money. Period. Not just here.

Is that the way UpWorks gets income - by selling connects? Or more through hosting the location for editing jobs to happen?
mtngigi
Community Member

@steeny wrote:
I meant I am not making any money. Period. Not just here.

Is that the way UpWorks gets income - by selling connects? Or more through hosting the location for editing jobs to happen?

Upwork is not surviving on the money it takes in for connects. Upwork makes money by getting a percentage of the money we earn. Upwork will not make money from a freelancer advertising free services. If you want to know how things work, there is a wealth of information both in the forums and under the ? icon on your account page. 

If Upwork's income was based on selling connects, they would have gone under years ago. Paid connects only became a thing this summer. Even at that, I seriously doubt it adds up to much, if anything.

joansands
Community Member

By the way, Steeny, your offer on your profile to do free work will not do anything for your reputation except lower it.

re: “I meant I am not making any money. Period. Not just here.”

Not everyone can earn a living as an editor working online from home.

Sorry.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths