🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Do you have a different long-term hourly rate...
Page options
marketplacemaven
Community Member

Do you have a different long-term hourly rate versus a short-term rate?

I have several clients that originally offered a short term project: setting up a new ecommerce account or auditing their current one. They seem to like my proposals well enough, that they are now asking what my rate would be for me to continue working with them on a long-term basis: creating other accounts and /or managing them. Is it common for freelancers to charge a different hourly rate for long term? 

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do you have a different long-term hourly rate versus a short-term rate?"

This is a legitimate question. 

Me personally?

No. 

My time is my time. My rate is my rate.

Do other freelancers vary their rates? I don't know. I get the impression that top freelancers don't alter their rates that way. It doesn't matter to me what other freelancers do with their rates.

Let me ask you this: if you discount your rate because a client promises a long term contract, that is grest for the client! He saved money. But then the long term client ended after only one week. Whoops! What are you going to do now? Will you bill the client for the difference in pay? Upwork doesn't support doing that. So you are basically out of luck.

designiaa3921
Community Member

Upwork provides the freedom for freelancer to bid on the project with rate and once accepted by the client then the billing is done on the amount you have mentioned for that project so you profile hourly rate can be different and bid rate can be different.

Good Luck.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths