cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Freelancer Plus Help Rising Talent Algorithm?

jaedger
Joshua E Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
1 of 3

Hello again!

I’ve been  on Upwork, forum aside, for about a month, I’ve had a 100% complete profile for about two weeks, I’ve done one job so far, and I’ve been trying to improve my chances of getting hired. From seeing how successful some of my irl peers have been on Upwork, I decided to make an investment via Freelancer Plus.

Until I establish that Upwork is a lucrative means for me to do freelance work, I’m only looking for jobs that has me create vector versions of pre-existing work. Since it seems that literally 99% of said vector jobs requires either a x>=90% JSS or a Rising Talent badge, I didn’t qualify for any of them. I was barely able to secure one job and even that required me to convince a client to start an account on and do business through Upwork for said job.

I’ve been sending out many proposals for jobs with skills that mirror my own, I’ve tried adjusting my pay rate, I’ve completed my profile, and more, but I’m just not getting anywhere. I’ve even found very simple vector jobs and with my proposal, I attach samples of my previous vector work that’s many times more complicated and detailed than what the client wanted. Despite all this, they always go with someone else who has a JSS or a Rising Talent badge.

Reading about how it all boils down to just the Job Success Score and the Rising Talent Badge, I paid for the Freelancer Plus since it seems such memberships usually have some hidden non-advertised impact on algorithms. That, and if I would continue working on Upwork, I could justify my paid membership as an investment. However, despite all this, support’s prior acknowledgment to look into the issue, and following all the steps in the Rising Talent guide, I still haven’t received the badge.

I know full well it isn’t advertised, but does anyone even have any grounded theories of if a Freelancer Plus membership affects the algorithm that submits a user’s profile to Upwork staff for review for Rising Talent status? I’d like to continue doing business on the Upwork platform, but I’m not keen to endlessly chasing a tethered carrot through a thick fog.

Thank you.

"Work smarter, not harder" by using keyboard shortcuts.
kathrynbaughman
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
2 of 3

@Joshua E wrote:

Hello again!

I’ve been  on Upwork, forum aside, for about a month, I’ve had a 100% complete profile for about two weeks, I’ve done one job so far, and I’ve been trying to improve my chances of getting hired. From seeing how successful some of my irl peers have been on Upwork, I decided to make an investment via Freelancer Plus.

Until I establish that Upwork is a lucrative means for me to do freelance work, I’m only looking for jobs that has me create vector versions of pre-existing work. Since it seems that literally 99% of said vector jobs requires either a x>=90% JSS or a Rising Talent badge, I didn’t qualify for any of them. I was barely able to secure one job and even that required me to convince a client to start an account on and do business through Upwork for said job.

I’ve been sending out many proposals for jobs with skills that mirror my own, I’ve tried adjusting my pay rate, I’ve completed my profile, and more, but I’m just not getting anywhere. I’ve even found very simple vector jobs and with my proposal, I attach samples of my previous vector work that’s many times more complicated and detailed than what the client wanted. Despite all this, they always go with someone else who has a JSS or a Rising Talent badge.

Reading about how it all boils down to just the Job Success Score and the Rising Talent Badge, I paid for the Freelancer Plus since it seems such memberships usually have some hidden non-advertised impact on algorithms. That, and if I would continue working on Upwork, I could justify my paid membership as an investment. However, despite all this, support’s prior acknowledgment to look into the issue, and following all the steps in the Rising Talent guide, I still haven’t received the badge.

I know full well it isn’t advertised, but does anyone even have any grounded theories of if a Freelancer Plus membership affects the algorithm that submits a user’s profile to Upwork staff for review for Rising Talent status? I’d like to continue doing business on the Upwork platform, but I’m not keen to endlessly chasing a tethered carrot through a thick fog.

Thank you.

You are missing out the two key factors that I have placed in bold in the quoted text.  I did not receive Rising Talent until I had successfully completed about 5 jobs after I returned to Upwork.  Also, JSS takes a while to receive.  I believe about 8-10 jobs completed are required (someone else may correct that).  

The largest factors right now, as I said, are the number of jobs completed and time.  I did not see a difference when I chose to go with a paid membership, but I was also concentrating on proposals and work rather than worrying about whether it would help having that membership.  I simply saw membership as an investment in my decision to work on the platform.

I'm sure other designers will chime in with advice (I hope so, I'm not a designer!), but for my own advice, all I can tell you is to keep at it and do not get discouraged or start worrying about hidden "secrets" to jumping ahead.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 3

No, Freelancer Plus Membership does not help in any way to get the Rising Talent Badge.

Having completed jobs with great public and private feedback does help. Some people get the Rising Talent badge before even completing a job.

To get a JSS (Job Success Score) you need to have completed 4 or more contracts with 3 or more distinct clients.