🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Does Upwork have a refer a friend or a re...
Page options
itsolutions81
Community Member

Does Upwork have a refer a friend or a referral program?

Does Upwork have a refer a friend or a referral program?

31 REPLIES 31
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

Top-rated freelancers can request a special link that you can provide to a client who is not yet an Upwork user. When the client uses that link to set up his Upwork account, it means that he can hire you and you will pay zero fees.

Paying zero fees instead of paying 20% of the earnings is a significant incentive.

Read more about that here or here, among other places in the Forum.

Also: Cients can send a Bring Your Own (BYO) invitation to freelancers they know outside Upwork:

Invitation to Create a Freelancer Account

Preston H wrote:

Top-rated freelancers can request a special link that you can provide to a client who is not yet an Upwork user. When the client uses that link to set up his Upwork account, it means that he can hire you and you will pay zero fees.

The OP isn't top rated and probably meant "refer a freelancing friend"

The short answer is "No"

The slightly longer answer is "No, because Upwork already has way too many freelancers and doesn't need any more."

Really thanks for your quick response.

What are the perks of bringing your own freelancer?

re: "What are the perks of bringing your own freelancer?"

"Henry" is not an Upwork freelancer. He has no Upwork user account.

But I want him to work on my project, and I want to have him track time and get paid through Upwork, just like the other freelancers who work on my project. With the "Bring Your Own Freelancer" program, I am able to get him an account that he can use to do so.

This doesn't mean that Henry is able to work for other Upwork clients, but he's not interested in that. It means that he CAN work through Upwork on my projects.

Does this mean I can refer freelancers who are not on Upwork to clients

hi, i'm top rated freelancer, but i can't find the refer link. 

Hi Muhammad,

I'll go ahead and share your account information to the team so that they can get in touch with you with your personal link.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

How can I get a referral link for my freelance friends?

Thanks!

re: "How can I get a referral link for my freelance friends?"

Referral links are for clients.

They are used so that when a client you are working for, but who is not an Upwork client, creates an Upwork account and pays you money, you don't need to pay Upwork fees on your earnings.

Ah, that's a bummer. But thanks for your answer. 

If I'm an upwork client, can I get a referral link to refer other upwork clients? If so, can you post a link?

Hi, Will I get paid if I recommend upwork to my friends?

re: "Will I get paid if I recommend upwork to my friends?"

Yes.

You will be paid.

Your payment will be the gratitude your friends feel toward you.

That is better than money.

Ha! I wish gratitude paid my rent, though...

Hi Kathryn,

I'd like to confirm the information Aleksandar has shared in this thread that there are no referer programs available. If you'd like to invite companies and people to create an account and hire freelancers on Upwork, you can refer them to this page for more information.

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Kathryn A wrote:

Hi, Will I get paid if I recommend upwork to my friends?

No, you won't be. There is no referal scheme for freelancers. Upwork has way too many freelancers, the last thing they need is any more. The majority of new accounts are not apprtoved, the vast majority of the few that are approved never earn a single Dollar.

How can I get set up with a referral link

re: "How can I get set up with a referral link?"

If you have a client that you already know, but they don't have an Upwork account, and you want them to use Upwork and hire you, while you pay ZERO FEES... then you need to contact Upwork Customer Support to get a special referral link:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/0-fee-when-you-bring-your-own-client/td-p/387330

kkulagina
Community Member

Hi, Can I have a referral link? Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kate,

Bring Your Own Client program is currently only available for Top Rated and Rising Talent freelancers. If you are not meeting those requirements, you can still send a link to your profile to your client and they can sign up for an Upwork account and hire you for a contract. You’ll be paying a standard Service Fee.

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your profile photo needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable. Please check this help article for more information on how to update your profile photo.

If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
f497fe33
Community Member

Hi, I'm a top-rated freelancer too, but I don't have the link as well 😞

Hi Cherry,

I've shared your account details with the team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly with your unique link and more information about the program. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

How can i  get a referral link to bring customers?

Not freelancers, but companies and people who want to hire

Hi Monica,

There are no referer programs available. Feel free to invite the companies and people that you are referring to create an account and hire freelancers. You can refer them to this page for more information.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

It's a shame. I want to refer a friend and want him to earn free connects. 

Unfortunatily upwork has not any referel program.

How would Upwork benefit from such a program?

I hope upwork will add this in future.

This invitation to create a freelancer account doesn't work at all.
Could you please update ?image.png

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for reaching out. The link that Preston gave is for clients to invite freelancers to create an Upwork account. Since you are a freelancer and already have an account, there's no need for you to do this. 

However, if you're interested to learn about this, it is now called "Any Hire" and you can go to this help article to read more about it.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths