🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Does declining an offer affect stats or enter...
Page options
kcdermodywriter
Community Member

Does declining an offer affect stats or enter into private feedback?

It used to be on Elance that it was fairly easy to vet a new client, however with such limited access to a client's history/reviews here on Upwork it is far more difficult. I accepted an invitation to a job that seemed like it might be a good fit, however, as the interview/discussions ensued I noticed numerous red flags, with many of my questions not answered at all. It took several hours of back and forth to determine what was needed, and after I had initially said I might be able to put it on my schedule for the following week, I received an offer with the deadline for the next day (among a number of other issues). Communication was vague, all over the place, and I realized that it would not be the best fit so I politely declined, while also offering some recommendations to other writers as my schedule is so busy right now.  Client sent another message Friday night asking again - I had planned to reply Monday as I didn't have time this weekend to get back into the whole discussion. Received somewhat of a nasty message this morning (Sunday) saying I was a "big thumbs down" for brushing him off.

I'm pretty sure he cannot send in private feedback that would affect my stats, but with so many changes thought I should ask. Not sure how I could have handled this better, but again, voicing the point that the removal of a freelancer's ability to vet a client continues to be extremely frustrating and makes me hesitate when applying to jobs or accepting invitations here.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi K.C.,

I can confirm that declining the offer doesn't affect freelancer stats. Feedback can only be left if there was an official contract in place.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sergio-soria
Community Member

I don't think so. As long as I know the only way they can give feedback about a freelancer is when a contract is closed. If you are a "big thumbs down" then why do they insist? Don't worry about it. You are not forced to accept a job if you don't like it.

Now if you accept a contract and then you don't want to work that's a different story.

Ha, good point - I'm prettty sure that's the case too, I didn't accept the contract ,was just in the stage of trying to determine if it would be a good fit when the client sent the offer after apparently not reading or ignoring what I'd written. Just wanted to double check as things can change frequently here... have been on Elance, then Upwork since around 2011 or 2012. Luckily only a few bad eggs, but it can be really frustrating running across them.

I think my main point is I'm just wishing that were options for vetting clients like there are for freelancers. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi K.C.,

I can confirm that declining the offer doesn't affect freelancer stats. Feedback can only be left if there was an official contract in place.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you, I hope there will be features put into place to help freelancers vet the clients too like we had before, or something similar. Just putting in my request, though I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned many times. Thanks again. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths