🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Does jobs send encrypted checks?
Page options
3c0c7a4b
Community Member

Does jobs send encrypted checks?

There is a company called**Edited for community guidelines**, they gave me a interview for the billing, cost, and rate clerk. Told me to sign my offer letter and then stated they were going to send an encrypted check to purchase my supplies. Does this sound right?

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

No. That is not right.

Participating in something like that is a serious violation of Upwork TOS. You could be permanently terminated from the platform. It is a serious violation of Upwork TOS to exchange money off platform, including through checks,

Also, this isn't a real job. This is a scam. If you go forward with this you will lose between $2000 to $3000 from your bank account.

re: "There is a company called _____, they gave me a interview for..."

Nobody from that company contacted you.

Scammers simply copy the names of companies off of the web and feed those names to newbies, as part of their scam.

lysis10
Community Member

Ask them if you can have the private keys to decrypt the check.

Of course, it's a scam.  No one sends money over the internet to a stranger.  Besides, accepting a check for any reason is against the TOS and you will be banned forever from Upwork.

JoanneP

Hi Krissy,

Could you please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Krissy L wrote:

There is a company called**Edited for community guidelines**, they gave me a interview for the billing, cost, and rate clerk. Told me to sign my offer letter and then stated they were going to send an encrypted check to purchase my supplies. Does this sound right?

Everything about this is wrong:

1. You don't need to sign any offer letters, employment contracts, or anything else.

2. You never accept any checks they might send for anything.

They need to gain your confidence for you to fall for this scam. You need to feel they are serious about hiring you. Would you have believed them if the first reply you received to your proposal was: Hey, thank you for your proposal, give me your adress, and I'll send you a check to buy supplies? Probably not. But they invested a few minutes of their time to rope you in, and here you are. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths