🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Does this seem legit?
Page options
04909f32
Community Member

Does this seem legit?

Good morning!

I am new to Upwork. I submitted a proposal, and received a message on Upwork with a Job Invite PDF. It instructed me to meet with the Material Manager on Telegram for an online interview. I met with that person for an hour. She said she would submit the interview to HR, and I should be back on Telegram at 8am CST tomorrow. 

Is this normal or sketchy? 

Thank you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Caila!

Welcome to Upwork!

Caila H wrote:

Good morning!

I am new to Upwork. I submitted a proposal, and received a message on Upwork with a Job Invite PDF. It instructed me to meet with the Material Manager on Telegram for an online interview. I met with that person for an hour. She said she would submit the interview to HR, and I should be back on Telegram at 8am CST tomorrow. 

Thank you. 

That was a Scammer! That client violated Upwork's terms. Until a contract has started, ALL communication is to be kept on Upwork. Once a contract is started, then and only then are you permitted to communicate with the client through other communication apps.

Please be safe. Not all clients are honest or follow Upwork's Terms. It would be in your best interest to withdraw your proposal, and flag the job so Upwork can take it from there. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hglewis
Community Member

Hello Caila!

Welcome to Upwork!

Caila H wrote:

Good morning!

Thank you. 

That was a Scammer! That client violated Upwork's terms. Until a contract has started, ALL communication is to be kept on Upwork. Once a contract is started, then and only then are you permitted to communicate with the client through other communication apps.

Please be safe. Not all clients are honest or follow Upwork's Terms. It would be in your best interest to withdraw your proposal, and flag the job so Upwork can take it from there. 

04909f32
Community Member

Thank you, Woodrow,

I have withdrawn my proposal and flagged the job listing. 

Caila H wrote:

Thank you, Woodrow,

I have withdrawn my proposal and flagged the job listing. 

Upwork strictly forbids communication outside of upwork before hire. Don't do that again. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caila,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths