🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Does upwork have alot of phantom jobs?
Page options
5ac8bbc2
Community Member

Does upwork have alot of phantom jobs?

I practically used up all my free connects starting out; I've got 4 left.

I probably put in about 12 proposals. I got a pretty decent skill set.

Yet no one gets back to me. And the person that does reach out to me is someone who contacts me; whom I never submitted a proposal. But turns out he was against TOS and never even had a track record of hiring people out.

Do you have to be willing to submit the lowest paying proposal to get a gig?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

UW has a lot of everything: real projects ranging from quick 1-2 hour tasks to multi-phase projects lasting months or years, for clients who range from other freelancers to small mom-and-pop outfits through the whole spectrum to Fortune 100 companies. There are also plenty of clueless newcomers and ruthless con artists on both sides of the table.

It's not a vending machine. It takes time to get established here. I joined with 20 years of freelance experience already and it still took me about a month (and 60 connects) to land my first project and another month (and another 60 connects) to land the second. It was nearly a year to feel I was beginning to get a bit of traction. During that time, I used all my 60 connects most months, submitting proposals to every project I could find that I thought I could deliver 110% satisfaction. I had also dropped my rate quite a bit (but not to rock bottom) in order to get started. Once I attained TR status and had a few repeat clients, I started giving myself a raise 1-2x year until I was charging on par with what I bill off the platform. (UW has never been my sole source of business but it has enabled me to scale way back on my own biz dev investment.)

I can't see your profile so can't offer specific advice. But to answer your question, there are plenty of legitimate and lucrative projects here. Finding your niche takes time, hard work and resolve.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

UW has a lot of everything: real projects ranging from quick 1-2 hour tasks to multi-phase projects lasting months or years, for clients who range from other freelancers to small mom-and-pop outfits through the whole spectrum to Fortune 100 companies. There are also plenty of clueless newcomers and ruthless con artists on both sides of the table.

It's not a vending machine. It takes time to get established here. I joined with 20 years of freelance experience already and it still took me about a month (and 60 connects) to land my first project and another month (and another 60 connects) to land the second. It was nearly a year to feel I was beginning to get a bit of traction. During that time, I used all my 60 connects most months, submitting proposals to every project I could find that I thought I could deliver 110% satisfaction. I had also dropped my rate quite a bit (but not to rock bottom) in order to get started. Once I attained TR status and had a few repeat clients, I started giving myself a raise 1-2x year until I was charging on par with what I bill off the platform. (UW has never been my sole source of business but it has enabled me to scale way back on my own biz dev investment.)

I can't see your profile so can't offer specific advice. But to answer your question, there are plenty of legitimate and lucrative projects here. Finding your niche takes time, hard work and resolve.

Ah, I guess it's good to get some expert advice on this topic.

Yes my status is invisible since this time and a couple years ago people who contact me end up being scammers.

What is TR status? I don't see anything for google.

Top Rated. Once you maintain a JSS of 90 or higher for 13 of 16 consecutive weeks, you will gain Top Rated status. The main advantage is the feedback removal perk -- you are able to have client feedback removed from one project. But then you cannot use it again until you've closed 10 more contracts and at least three months have passed. So it's not something to use casually but it can be valuable if you tangle with a really nasty or flaky client (and we all have one, now and then).

Until you have a JSS and some good client feedback on your job history, you should assume any unsolicited invitations from "clients" are scams. Just get your profile in great shape (study successful FLs in your category with experience & credentials comparable to yours) and work the job posts. Only invest your connects in job posts you feel confident are a great fit for your capabilities, and when you do get responses from good-seeming clients, keep your head before accepting an offer. Be sure you understand the scope of work and you and the client are on the same page about that, about the timeline, about contingencies that may arise... Be more selective while building your JSS than you'll ever be again. Every successful FL on the platform will tell you most of their regrets involve accepting a project they shouldn't have, rather than passing up one.

Good luck!

I'm hoping my prospects will improve when (if) I get top rates status. I've already notched up three weeks, so another ten should get me TR status (I think) as long as I make no blunders. 

I'm getting the hang of recognizing ads from the type of client who is never going to follow up and hire someone, which means I waste a bit less time now than formerly.

I've sent out so many proposals that I sometimes get replies about jobs I have no recollection of applying for. Pretty soon I'm going to add "writing cover letters" to my collection of skills.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths