🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Don't understand decline reason of "Late ...
Page options
d1d1931a
Community Member

Don't understand decline reason of "Late Response"

All,

I recently found Upwork and submitted my first proposal for someone to help me fix a couple of Amazon listing and give me a quick tutorial on creating future listings.  I invited two local freelancers, thinking possibly that face to face may be most efficient for showing me the proper way to create my listings.

After 6 days, I received a note from Upwork telling me one of the invitees declined the proposal with the reason of "late response".  I searched my mail system thinking I had missed an email and found I had not.  I had checked the Upwork site a few times during those 6 days and had seen no responses.  After seeing the email, I checked my posted proposal again and no responses show but there is now one less invitee.

Can anyone lend any advice on what "late response" means?  Is it an option on the freelancer's response screen?  I've no idea what it means or if I did something wrong but I'm still in need of someone to assist me on my listings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dennis,

Sending out an Invitation for your project to a Freelancer you have already reached out to them. If Freelancer accepts Invitation, message room will be created for you and your Freelancer, and you will be able to communicate with them. Otherwise, if Freelancer decline invitation, you won't be able to establish communication with them. I hope this helped. Let us know if you need further asssitncee. Thank you 

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dennis,

Please note that "late response" is not an option freelancer can select when declining an invite. However, the freelancer can add an optional message when declining an invite. Unfortunately, We can't explain what the freelancer meant by that message. 

Also, check these helpful resources and this thread to give you an idea on how to get started as a client. Please choose the closest category in posting the project you wish to post. Define your project with details like goals, deliverables, deadlines, and budget so freelancers can submit competitive proposals. You can also search for qualified freelancers and invite them to submit proposals.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
d1d1931a
Community Member

Thanks for the quick response.  Is there a way to reach out to the freelancers to have them clarify their response? 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dennis,

Sending out an Invitation for your project to a Freelancer you have already reached out to them. If Freelancer accepts Invitation, message room will be created for you and your Freelancer, and you will be able to communicate with them. Otherwise, if Freelancer decline invitation, you won't be able to establish communication with them. I hope this helped. Let us know if you need further asssitncee. Thank you 

~ Bojan
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Dennis R wrote:

All,

I recently found Upwork and submitted my first proposal for someone to help me fix a couple of Amazon listing and give me a quick tutorial on creating future listings.  I invited two local freelancers, thinking possibly that face to face may be most efficient for showing me the proper way to create my listings.

After 6 days, I received a note from Upwork telling me one of the invitees declined the proposal with the reason of "late response".  I searched my mail system thinking I had missed an email and found I had not.  I had checked the Upwork site a few times during those 6 days and had seen no responses.  After seeing the email, I checked my posted proposal again and no responses show but there is now one less invitee.

Can anyone lend any advice on what "late response" means?  Is it an option on the freelancer's response screen?  I've no idea what it means or if I did something wrong but I'm still in need of someone to assist me on my listings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What it means is the freelancer felt you took too long to respond to his proposal. What a freelancer deems too long is probably a personal view that varies vastly and that he likely would not care to discuss with you further, even if you were able to contact him/her... 😉

So, nothing to worry about!

Don't forget that a freelancer can RANDOMLY CLICK on possible response buttons, and their "response" may be completely meaningless.

Don't spend time thinking or worrying about these responses, especially if they don't make sense. Don't take it personally or second-guess yourself.

Thanks for your response. I'm not taking it personally, I'm brand new to
Upwork. I was just curious as to the meaning of the odd response and
thought the veterans here could advise. Sounds like it's an odd,
meaningless response to everyone.

I've opened the post up to everyone so I hope I can get a proposal because
I still require the work to be completed.

Thanks,

Dennis
lysis10
Community Member

Some of us just smash keys to get through the form. I always choose other for the decline reason and smash some keys. Occasionally, I've accidentally smashed keys in the client message textbox that's sent to the client as a message, and I'm sure it's confusing when they get "Decline reason: owefh;f" I just think "Oooooopsie he gonna be confused by that one hehe"

According to Upwork, I've received no proposals, which makes her response
even more curious.

Thanks for the response.

Dennis
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths