🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Don't want my real photo on upwork/internet
Page options
velivada
Community Member

Don't want my real photo on upwork/internet

Hi,

I don't want my real picture, personal data on the internet. How can I avoid uploading my real profile picture? What are my options? 

Upwork is asking me to verify the profile using video call and then during the call, they will allow me to update the profile picture (at present it is Leonardo DiCaprio 🙂 ) Video call that they will record and I don't know how safe is that and how my data will be used. I don't want to leave any traces of myself on the internet.

Suggest my options here?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
michael_skaggs
Community Member

If you're trying to leave no traces of your "real" self on the internet, then being a freelancer is probably not for you.

Peter, 

Sorry to break the news to you, Peter, but privacy is a thing of the past.

I'm not sure there's a huge amount of harm in this, but you have to make your peace with it. So somebody finds out I have heartburn issues and a small bank account and three kids named George, Norman and Bethany. Who's been harmed? Maybe the answer is that I've been harmed, but the damage is done. It turns out, there's no putting the toothpaste back into the tube once it's been stepped on.

That said, I am slightly amused to find out that Cathy and Prashant's profiles are both set on "private." A bit like the ostrich calling the kettle black.

kat303
Community Member

Peter - There are actually 2 ways or options that you can avoid having your personal picture on this site.

1. Delete your account and don't become a freelancer on Upwork. (find another site that does not require you to have an actualy picture.)

2. Keep whatever picture you want (besides your actual picture) and Upwork will suspend and terminate your account. Then since you won't have an account here anymore you don't have to worry about posting your picture.

Those are your ONLY 2 options you have here concerning your picture.

My picture is there, but Peter raises a vilid point.  A buyer knows too much about you, your name, city, and pic while you know zilch about the buyer.

I fail to see usefulness of having a pic - make it optional.

bobafett999
Community Member

When I wrote this almost everyone had a real picture.  Upwork was also strict about that.  The vetting process did a good job.

Now since almost anyone and anything can be a freelancer with whatever image they feel like it, I do see usefulness of having a real picture.  Buyers want to deal with real people.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths