🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Dropbox Links in Messages - Safe?
Page options
2ab3d67f
Community Member

Dropbox Links in Messages - Safe?

Hello, 

I've started to receive messages from users after submitting proposals. These messages have included dropbox links with more information to the project or interview steps. Is this normal communication? Wanting to confirm these links are safe. I am new to Upwork, so I'm not sure what to expect!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account.

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

~ Bojan
Upwork
2ab3d67f
Community Member

Thank you! I've recevied two messages with Dropbox links, but only one was closed. Does that mean the other is safe?

Lauren:
Upwork doesn't have any control over Dropbox, and Upwork can't guarantee that if a client sends you a link to a Dropbox file, that the file will be safe.

But any time you receive a link to a file on Dropbox, it is entirely possible that the file is safe.

Might not be. But it might be.

If you have concerns, you can use your own virus scanning software or sandbox. Or you can look into the matter on the Dropbox site. They may have information about this topic.

I can't tell you specifically whether the file is safe or not, but here's a general caution: you're new on here, without any job history yet. That makes you a prime target for scammers, who often put their instructions in documents rather than directly in chat to make it a little harder for Upwork to notice them. Scammers also seem to be really targeting proofreading and editing folks these days.

The file itself is probably OK, but there's a good chance it will be asking you to do things that are the start of scams: interviewing via Skype or Telegram or Whatsapp, buying insurance, getting a check to buy equipment, sending them cryptocurrency, etc.

Be very careful, and if you haven't done so, read the pinned thread at the top of this forum on getting started and this thread on recognizing scams.

The idea that a prospective client would need to direct you to a Dropbox link for anything to do with interviewing seems very suspicious to me. They should be able to use Upwork messages to conduct an interview.

Others have much more experience than me here, but I would not go for this. If you think this client may be for real but maybe inexperienced with Upwork, explain the situation and they should be happy to share necessary files through Upwork messenger. If they're not happy to do this, I would walk away.

Well yeah... most of the time if a prospective client directs you to Dropbox during the interview phase, you are simply dealing with a scammer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths