🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » EU VAT Problem
Page options
d5283aa1
Community Member

EU VAT Problem

Hi.

My situation is this:

i'm new to upwork and not sure whether I have to file my taxes with the the State Revenue Service (“the SRS”).

I'm from Latvia (part of the EU).

From what I read here, it seems to be one of the two: either I don't have to file the taxes since my income does not go above 400 USD. Or, I have to file the taxes and register to get a VAT number because i'm still earning money.
Upwork does file some taxes to my government, but it is for their part (service fee), not for the work and payment i'm receiving from the customer.

So - do I have to register to get a VAT number, and file my taxes?

5 REPLIES 5
AndreaG

Hi Andris,

That is correct, VAT is not being charged on your earnings from your clients. You should consult your tax advisor whether to charge your client VAT for your services considering your specific situation. Upwork will only charge VAT on the electronically supplied services (ESS) we provide to you.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello, 

I have an issue with VAT as well. I have a VAT number that is connected to my account but my tax advisor said that there needs to be written "BG" or "EU" in front of the 10 digits so it's clear that I am a VAT registered in my country. Can you please assist me with that? I can send you a screenshot of the invoices if needed. 

Kind regards, 

Simona

Hi Simona,

We won't charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number in the format shown Here. If you need further help regarding your VAT number, I would recommend to reach out to a local expert who can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

Thank you for your prompt response. I reached out to a local tax expert and he asked me why in the invoices you send me there is no "BG" or "EU" before the digits? Because those letters show that I am tax registered. 

And one more request, do you know why in the certificate of earning is still written my name instead of my company's name? 

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

Kind regards, 

Simona

Hi Simona,

1. Since your VAT number is only digits, the same format and number will be added on your invoice as well. I would also like to confirm, that we don't have an option to edit your invoices. However, you can update your VAT number at any time.

2. The Certificate of Earnings can't be issued under a company since you're working as an independent freelancer (it can be issued only under the name on your profile). Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths