Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: *Edited* Corporation

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 18

Kelli wrote, "I posted a proposal just for fun."

In this case it's academic since the client is a scammer, but I hope you won't make a practice of applying 'for fun' if that means you have no intention of actually doing the job because you're wasting the client's time and risk creating the impression that Upwork freelancers are prone to making frivolous proposals.

12 of 18

You are absolutely right in that it is academic on my part. Thankfully, I didn't give them any more information than what I did. I was suspicious of several things. As for doing it "for fun," what I meant was that I was interested in the posted job. I put out a simple proposal, being that it was my first attempt, to see what would happen. I certainly appreciate the bluntness of those who responded.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
13 of 18

@Kelli M wrote:

I am new to this site. I posted a proposal just for fun. I was interviewed by Sophia Morgan, HR CNA Corporation & offered the job at a much higher rate. How legitimate is this company?

Looks, like, a scammer got ahold of you..... just for fun.

All companies mentions on this site are legitimate. That does not make the client legitimate or an employee at that company.

What you need to do is to take the time to read some posts here and in the freelancer discussion section so you'll not only know how this site works, the procedures, but also what to look out for.

And by the way, there is NO need for a client to know the name of your bank or your address (unless they are sending you materials/documents needed for the job they hired you for such as business cards to input into a spreadsheet. All clients should be interested in is getting their job done by a qualified, experienced freelancer.

Brandon D Member Since: Jan 6, 2017
14 of 18

Yeah Im pretty new here but i figured out if they want you to go to google hangout most likley they are a scam. Ive also noitced if they dont have a payment method they are most likley a scam, thats what im assuming could i be wrong on that?

Kelli M Member Since: Jan 7, 2017
15 of 18

I don't mean to sound naive, hence the reason I asked on here as soon as I suspected it was a scam. I was not aware of Google Hangout until the other day. I do not use my gmail account. I normally do not post my picture and the one that is on this is an old picture. I look naive in it. I am also very new to freelance work/virtual work, etc. However, I really appreciate the blunt feedback because I will not be making the same mistake twice. I will be following up on the suggestions posted today.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 18

Hi Kelli,

I'll make sure the job you are referring to is reviewed and actions are taken as soon as possible. As others pointed out on this thread already, make sure the client makes you an offer on Upwork and all the payments are made on the platform. The client has no reasons to ask you for your personal and banking information since they have to pay you on Upwork.

Please, check this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Kelli M Member Since: Jan 7, 2017
17 of 18

Valerie,

Thank you for taking the time to do this. How do I send you the conversation?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 18

Kelli,

I'll let you know if we need any additional information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS