🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Edited for Guidelines**
Page options
jackeline-ocampo
Community Member

Edited for Guidelines**

Has Anybody heard of a company **Edited for Community Guidelines** an international company that wants to hire directly? I wanted to know if anyone has gone into this process is anybody actively working with them or in the past? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jackeline:

That is not how this works.

You are not allowed to ask about companies by name like this.

And even if you were allowed to do that, it would be ineffective.

We don't maintain a list of names of "good" and "bad" companies.

Remember:

Names are irrelevent.

A client's behavior is what matters.

You need to check out a client only using information about that client within Upwork.

Otherwise, you will probably be tricked by scammers.

If an Upwork client invited you to interview for a job and fed you the name of a well-established company that you can easily Google, then it means you are probably dealing with a scammer who is trying to get money from you. Often newbie Upwork freelancers lose thousands of dollars from their own bank accounts to these scammers.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jackeline:

That is not how this works.

You are not allowed to ask about companies by name like this.

And even if you were allowed to do that, it would be ineffective.

We don't maintain a list of names of "good" and "bad" companies.

Remember:

Names are irrelevent.

A client's behavior is what matters.

You need to check out a client only using information about that client within Upwork.

Otherwise, you will probably be tricked by scammers.

If an Upwork client invited you to interview for a job and fed you the name of a well-established company that you can easily Google, then it means you are probably dealing with a scammer who is trying to get money from you. Often newbie Upwork freelancers lose thousands of dollars from their own bank accounts to these scammers.

thank you.

nkocendova
Community Member

Hi Jackeline,

Making sure that you have a contract on the platform with a client before starting on any work will help in avoiding potential scams on Upwork. It is also advisable that they have a verified billing method so that the work you do can be covered by Upwork Payment Protection. Please browse  this thread which has helpful tips and excellent resources for users just getting started on the platform and I strongly suggest this thread for tips on avoiding suspicious jobs and scams.

~Nina

Thank you.

kat303
Community Member

@Jackeline O wrote:

Has Anybody heard of a company **Edited for Community Guidelines** an international company that wants to hire directly? I wanted to know if anyone has gone into this process is anybody actively working with them or in the past? 

No need to vett companies. It doesn't matter. What matters is that this client hires you (offers you a contract) ON THIS SITE. What matters is that after that, their account is verified. And what matters is that BEFORE you start work, if it's a fixed rate job, that the client FULLY funds either the entire job or each milestone as they come up BEFORE you start work on requirements of those job/milestones. (no matter what the client tells you, tries to convince you or promises you.)

darifoussama
Community Member

I was also approched by the same company Jackeline. I have a feeling it is a scam. i'm playing along to see where this is going. i told them that this is what i think especially that the interview was via google outing text chat. emails were received from .dr and gmail domains!!

i told them anout what i think and they promissed they will provide credentials. 

Hi Oussama,

Please check out my response to Jackeline about this as well.

~Nina

@Oussama D wrote:

I was also approched by the same company Jackeline. I have a feeling it is a scam. i'm playing along to see where this is going. 

Oussama, I hope you have fun playing along but don't expect to be hired. Clients don't scam some freelancers while hiring others. Once a scammer, always a scammer.

Yes, I will log in every morning as they requested to speak further about the job and once the conversation started about my bank info and i told them i had no mobile banking, they requested me to get it and then contact them..

claudia-moreno
Community Member

Did you go on with their process? I had the same proposal, but I'm wondering if it's a scam too. 

I didn't they started asking for bank information because they were going to wire me  money so i could buy equipment they needed me to work with and they were also going to give me a bonus..

Guys -- You do know that this is a scam, right? You are just playing along for funsies, right?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths