🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Education?
Page options
britt_em
Community Member

Education?

I'm sure I'm not the first to have asked this, but while reading through threads I could not get a definitive answer. It seems as though I need a formal education to complete my profile - to which I can say I have none. My skills come from years of my thirst for knowledge and real life experience. Is there a way to bypass the education portion of my profile in order to complete it?

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "It seems as though I need a formal education to complete my profile"

No, you don't.

That is one element that can be included on a profile page.

But there are many other types of information that one can include.

sbilu131521
Community Member

Hi Brittany,

There is no option you can skip the "Education" portion. But you still have a choice to put all your knowledge you have learned from real life experience.

HOW?

You can put what you have learned in "Other Experiences" section. You also can explain there why those are important than any formal education.

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Sagar

I know this was answered in 2017, but I'm curious if anything has changed in 2021.

I'm thinking of taking down all of my education history on Upwork because I am concerned about ageism. What will happen if I take the entire education history down? Will that effect anything? I am top-rated, have a great profile, regular clients, etc...

Please advise!!!

re: "I'm thinking of taking down all of my education history on Upwork because I am concerned about ageism. What will happen if I take the entire education history down? Will that effect anything? I am top-rated, have a great profile, regular clients, etc..."

a) No. Nothing has changed.

b) I don't know if you actually need to be concerned about ageism when it comes to Upwork hiring. I'm not concerned about that at all.

c) What will happen if you take down your education history? Probably nothing. I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork. I have never looked at the education section on anybody's profile page. I guess it depends on what kind of job niche you're in whether or not anybody will care.

You are a graphic designer. I have hired dozens of artists and graphic designers. Personally, I don't even read artists' profile overview text. And I don't read anything they write in cover letters. I look at their portfolios. I am sure that there are MANY clients who focus on artists' portfolios. Did you know that Vincent van Gogh never graduated from college or art school? How much do you care?

I am absolutely ancient, have been around since ODesk days, and have never experienced ageism on the platform (that I'm aware of),  I once got hired because I had gone to the same university as the client's mother - at the same time (which was kinda dumb on his part but it all worked out well in the end)

Why am I required to have educvation to post my profile to look for work? I don't have a college degree, but it keeps telling me I can't post without one. Why does a college degree matter? Your telling me I am not allowed to use this service without one?

re: "Why am I required to have education to post my profile to look for work?"

Ypu aren't.

re: "I don't have a college degree, but it keeps telling me I can't post without one."

You don't need a college degree.

re: "Why does a college degree matter?"

It doesn't.

re: "Your telling me I am not allowed to use this service without one?"

No.

You may indeed use this service without a college degree.

John C wrote:

Why am I required to have educvation to post my profile to look for work? I don't have a college degree, but it keeps telling me I can't post without one. Why does a college degree matter? Your telling me I am not allowed to use this service without one?

Um... no one said any of those things. I don't have a degree either, nobody cares.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths