🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Email ID
Page options
johnston_john
Community Member

Email ID

Hi, I've had a message to email a potential client via there email id? 

But, I cannot find it anywhere on upwork.

Because of this, I am a little cautious and reaching out here to see if it is allowed to be located and if so where?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@John J wrote:

Because of this, I am a little cautious and reaching out here to see if it is allowed to be located and if so where?

Thanks

So a potential client asked you to contact them via email? Or he stated in his job posting that he wants to be contacted via email?

Clients don't have accounts in the way freelancers do, and their email can't be found anywhere, all the info about the client you can access is in the job posting. 

But there is no need for that anyway, upwork provides all means of communication that you would need through messaging or video. Just ask them to use that. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@John J wrote:

Thanks

So a potential client asked you to contact them via email? Or he stated in his job posting that he wants to be contacted via email?

Clients don't have accounts in the way freelancers do, and their email can't be found anywhere, all the info about the client you can access is in the job posting. 

But there is no need for that anyway, upwork provides all means of communication that you would need through messaging or video. Just ask them to use that. 

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

He sent me an invitation, I  accepted and he then sent me this message  Could you please Email me on my email ID

I've not responded to that request yet.

@John J wrote:

He sent me an invitation, I  accepted and he then sent me this message  Could you please Email me on my email ID

Is the client new as well and confused? If he did not provide you with his email adress, he should know that you can't contact him that way. On the other hand, maybe he just expects a response via upwork messaging. 

@John J wrote:

If you received an invite that you responded to, a message room for you and the client should have opened up. Respond to the client there, stating that initially you prefer to keep things on Upwork during the interview stage. Because of Upwork's iffy and unexpected downtimes, it's advisable to have an alternative way for you and your clients to communicate, and that is not against TOS.

If you only communicate outside of your message room, you should make sure and copy all messages to the message room, so there's a record.

colettelewis
Community Member

@John J wrote:

Thanks

You are not violating Upwork's ToS, If you communicate with a client via his or her private email. However, it would be against the ToS if you then agreed to be paid off site and you should report the client if that is what they suggest. It is advisable though, at the beginning, to keep to the Upwork message rooms.

I very often give my email to an established client, in case of any site glitches and I need to deliver time-sensitive work or ask questions. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths