🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Email address to a potential client
Page options
mjsilverio
Community Member

Email address to a potential client

Hello, I’m new here and would need some guidance. I received a response from a potential client to whom I previously sent a proposal and she encouraged me to continue my application by sending me a link which she said will provide more information about the job and require me to complete an online questionnaire as part of their hiring process. When I click on the link, the first information they’re asking was my email address but I did not continue as I wanted to confirm first with the community if this is a violation of the TOS. 

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

There is nothing wrong with sharing your email with a client or potential client during the interview process.  I almost always share alternate contact info once I start a contract.

But - be very careful here. If the survey starts asking for more personal info for that, asks you to join a Google Hangouts, install or buy software or equipment, mentions payment off Upwork, asks for free sample work, or anything else that seems scammy - click the report job link on the original posting and walk away.  

Edited to add: just asking for a survey as part of the hiring process start triggering warning bells for me.

There's a pinned post at the top of this forum that has links to info on how the process works and how to detect potential scams.

nishant4449
Community Member

Hi Mary 

Yes its against terms and condtions of upwork you cant share your conatct details to client so suugest your client use private chat box of upwork . 

Best Regards 

Nishant, that's not the case - you cannot have contact info in your profile, but you can share it with the client either during the interview process or after being hired. 

That said, the best primary communication is usually through the Upwork chat.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths