cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email and Phone Number

Highlighted
Christine C Member Since: Feb 2, 2017
1 of 8

Hi, Can someone help me please.  I am new to Upwork and have my first offer - they want to draw up an agreement and have asked for my email address and phone number. Is this normal, do I give it, or should everything go through Upwork. Thanks guys.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Patricia V Member Since: Aug 3, 2016
2 of 8

Hi Christine.

I think it's ok to exchange contacts with the client outside UpWork (especially skype, for interviews and such); but in my experience, almost everytime a client wants to communicate by email/phone, it's a scam. There are exceptions, of course, but I have learned to be suspicious about these cases. 

Just make sure you have a proper contract on UpWork, with funded milestones, and confirmed payment by the client before starting any work. 

Highlighted
3 of 8

Hi Patricia,

Does the client also set up payment through Escrow or do I need to do something with that? He has said he has told them to put part payment up for me, but how do I hear from the payment people, if you understand please?

Thanks

Christine

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Christine,

If you confirm this information by checking the clients offer (Proposals > Offers). I see you already accepted the terms and do see that Escrow is funded for the first Milestone since "(Funded)" message is shown next to the Milestone amount.

To familiarize yourself with other Upwork features and processes, please review the resources we shared here.

Highlighted
5 of 8

Thank you!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Christine,

You can communicate with clients directly after discussing the job and noting the terms you agreed on in messages. It's up to you if you decide to sign any contracts outside the platform, as long as you accept the pending offer and only accept to get paid through Upwork. However, please note that we advise against sending copies of your ID or share your SSN, bank account details, email and account login information, or any other sensitive personal information with other users.

Please review the safety tips Lena shared and let us know if you have any questions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 8
I'm happy to provide email address and phone number to clients who have officially hired me. Why would a client need that information beforehand?
Highlighted
8 of 8

Thank you Vladimir,

Regards

Christine