🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Employer Changed Payment Without Permissi...
Page options
caitlin-nichols
Community Member

Employer Changed Payment Without Permission Or My Agreement

Hello! I recently got accepted for a writing job only for my new boss to change how much I would be getting paid. Instead of doing two articles for twenty dollars, as the job position was posted, he told me I would be doing six articles for twenty dollars. I withdrew my proposal immediately but am worried about the employer negatively affecting my writer score. Is there any way I can defend myself against that, should he give me a bad rating?

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caitlin, 

I would like to confirm that since this isn't a contract, your client will not be able to leave feedback for you. You and your client will only be able to leave feedback on each other if there is a contract, and once the contract is closed.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks! For future reference how do I know if there is a contract?

Hi Caitlin, 

If your client is interested to hire you for their project, they will send you an offer and you should receive it in your Messages page, as well as through an email. Once you accept it, it should show as an active contract on your My Jobs page. 

Since you are new here, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

I hope these help!

~ Avery
Upwork

He sent me the email and the contract saying once I wrote something it became his. I dont know if he finished hiring me on Upwork though.

Hi Caitlin, 

I would like to confirm that no offer was made on Upwork, and no contract was created between you and the Client. Only once you accept an offer will a contract be made and listed on your My Jobs page. Please refrain from working on projects unless the client sent you an offer through Upwork, and a contract is listed on your My Jobs page. 

I would definitely recommend that you read up on the links I have shared above to familiarize yourself with the website, and for more information on how you can work safely on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths