🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ended contract
Page options
cerezo_susana
Community Member

Ended contract

Hello everyone. I have a short time here, and I have a question. The client made a request for a design on PSD, I sent a preview, he did not answer, I didn't want to take more time, so I send the PSD (because of he asked before). And after sending the editable he ends the contract. So, it was a mistake to send the PSD before he approves the design?

6 REPLIES 6
robin_hyman
Community Member

Susana C wrote:

Hello everyone. I have a short time here, and I have a question. The client made a request for a design on PSD, I sent a preview, he did not answer, I didn't want to take more time, so I send the PSD (because of he asked before). And after sending the editable he ends the contract. So, it was a mistake to send the PSD before he approves the design?

He ended the contract and didn't pay you?  If so, you just gave him free work.  Assuming this is a fixed-price job, did you submit your work through the Upwork submission tool?  

I truly hope so....

prestonhunter
Community Member

Susana:

It is not possible for a client to simply "close a contract without paying you" unless you (the freelancer) made a mistake.

Maybe you won't get paid for this particular contract, but that's not really very important compared to figuring out what you did wrong.

If we help you figure out what you did wrong, then we can help you avoid ever making that mistake again in the future.

Please answer the following questions:

1) Did you actually have an Upwork contract in place? (Is it listed here: Upwork -> My Jobs -> All Contracts ?)

2) Was this an hourly or fixed-price contract?

dacotto1984
Community Member

i had a similar issue kind-of opposite of yours.

When i finished the job for the client, i waited for the payment transaction to finish in order to hand over the work. 

The transaction took a few days and by the time the transaction finished, he had already hired another guy to finish the work. 

He then was demanding a refund which ultimately i gave to him despite me taking the time to do the work.

David:

It sounds like you, too, made mistakes in setting up the contract.

The proper actions for you to take would have been:

a) set up fixed-price contract properly

b) do all work and turn over ALL work to the client

c) receive payment when client releases escrow payment to you

kat303
Community Member

Susana C wrote:

It was a mistake that you not only started work, but sent the finished work to the client BEFORE the client deposited the funds in escrow. I'm wondering if you even HAD a contract. 

DON'T job right in without knowing the procedures of this site. Before you do anything else, read all of the information in the 9 sections on this page. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us

After that, search on the word SCAMS in this and the Freelancers discussion site. THEN you can start looking for and apply for jobs.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Susana, 

I checked the contract you are referring to, and it looks like the client is requesting a refund for the first milestone. You have 7-days to respond to the request, otherwise, the milestone will automatically be refunded back to the client's billing method. 

If you think that you should have been paid for this contract, you can click the option to dispute the money in escrow. This will then be forwarded to the Mediation Team where they will help you and your client resolve this amicably. You may read more about disputes in this thread for your information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths