🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Ending Contract
Page options
fontline
Community Member

Ending Contract

Sorry for such a basic question, but I am new to upwork and kind of unclear as to when you can end a contract. I have two clients that I have finished work with but they have not ended the contract. As a freelancer, is it ok for me to end the contract? And, more importantly, do I have to wait until the payment is in my bank account before I do or as long as the funds are in "pending" is it ok to end the contract? Thanks for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Sue,

Welcome to Upwork! Typically, freelancers wait for the client to end a contract, make any final payments, and leave feedback. That said, if your clients have become unresponsive it might be a good idea to end the contracts yourself, it's completely up to you! All Upwork users have the ability to end a contract at any time, though it is always best if everyone is aware of what's going on and in agreement about it.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
fontline
Community Member

Thanks. Is it safe to end the contract when the payment is still in “pending” mode?

Hi Sue,

Yes! When funds are Pending in your Reports > Overview it means the client has already paid and they are in a 5-day Security Period before they are available for withdrawal. 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths