🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Ending contract without earning and JSS
Page options
arslanali800
Community Member

Ending contract without earning and JSS

Hi,

Couple of days ago I had received my JSS which is perfect i.e. 100%. One of my current in progress contract is going well but again another which I had submmited for like 12 days ago, went not well and client is asking to close without payment. I now realized that I should not bid to low budget contract and should review feedback given to client even before sending proposal.

If I close this without earning how much will it damage my JSS?

Also last JSS update was on 21 June, so the contract which start after 21 June will contribute toward my JSS in next update? I have only 3 contracts after 21 June.

Can any one please comment and advice?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Hello Arsal,
yes any job closed without earning minimum 1$ can seriously dent the JSS. It happens to me as well once.

can’t say how much, as JSS is calculated on my different reasons.

But don’t worry you can improve it gradually in coming weeks.

Hi Gurjeet, 

Thanks for your comment. Yes I am actually worried as I had fewer completed contracts so far. Also if the contract is cancel/ended by client or cancel./ended by freelancer without earning, would the effect on JSS would be the same ?

Thanks

Arslan A wrote:

Hi Gurjeet, 

Thanks for your comment. Yes I am actually worried as I had fewer completed contracts so far. Also if the contract is cancel/ended by client or cancel./ended by freelancer without earning, would the effect on JSS would be the same ?

Thanks

If a contract ends with no earnings, regardless of who ends it, the JSS is still affected.

Yes, it does not matter who end it. And as per policy, minimum 1$ earning is required.

gurjeet k wrote:
Yes, it does not matter who end it. And as per policy, minimum 1$ earning is required.

There is no policy stating that. 

thanks, Martina for the clarification, I guess I have read the same in some thread then.

Hi,

Thanks. My JSS last update was on 21 June, after that I have 3 contract and the next JSS update will be on 5th July (i.e. 2 weeks after first update), so only these three contract (after June 21) will be taken in account for updating my JSS ?

Thanks 

If you did SOME work, you should be paid for it. Ask for a small stipend based on the hours and work you put into the project. Try not to let the contract end without payment. 

Hi Robin.

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, he had cancel it and only one day was left for automatic escrow release and now my JSS will hit for sure. Yes, I did work and submit after that. Nonetheless, now I will not be bidding to those low budget / assignments tasks in future.     

40fac38e
Community Member

Arslan A wrote:
Hi,

Couple of days ago I had received my JSS which is perfect i.e. 100%. One of my current in progress contract is going well but again another which I had submmited for like 12 days ago, went not well and client is asking to close without payment. I now realized that I should not bid to low budget contract and should review feedback given to client even before sending proposal.

If I close this without earning how much will it damage my JSS?

Also last JSS update was on 21 June, so the contract which start after 21 June will contribute toward my JSS in next update? I have only 3 contracts after 21 June.

Can any one please comment and advice?

Thanks
  • No Earnings – In general, when a contract fails to lead to any earnings your JSS will be negatively impacted. Jobs that lack earnings and have positive outcomes will be excluded from JSS.
  • No Feedback – Contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.
  • The Upwork system takes snapshots of your six-, 12- and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score for each. The best score out of these moving time windows is displayed on your profile and updated about every two weeks.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-Job-Success-Score

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths