🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Upwork VAT number and location in EU
Page options
hpatsev
Community Member

Enter a VAT when working with an Upwork Enterprise client

Hello dear team, 

I will be working with an Upwork Enterprise client for this contract. As far as I understand VAT will be applied to services provided by Upwork. Does this mean I can register without having a VAT?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hristo,

Upwork charges the country-specific Value Added Tax (VAT) to freelancers and agencies in the European Union (EU) unless you provide a valid VAT number. To learn more about VAT check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

but what is the VAT be applied to? There is no service fee. 

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hristo,

Just to clarify, Upwork is required to assess VAT on services provided by our company to anyone residing in the EU. I understand that you won't have a service fee on your contract, but when working on other contracts (with service fee) you will be charged for VAT as well.
Please refer to the help article I shared for more details about this. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Hristo P wrote:

I will be working with an Upwork Enterprise client for this contract. As far as I understand VAT will be applied to services provided by Upwork but in my case there is not going to be a fee from Upwork. T. 

Why isn't there going to be a service fee? I have worked with multiple Enterprise clients, and if you are hired as a freelancer, there is a service fee,(10% straight away rather than 20% because it's an Enterprise client)  and if you are hired as an employee, VAT isn't relevant anyway.

hpatsev
Community Member

Hi guys,

I am registering a VAT number for myself in Bulgaria and I am being asked by our tax department about Upwork's VAT number and location in Europe. Can you provide me this info?

Thank you

petra_r
Community Member

Hristo P wrote:

I am registering a VAT number for myself in Bulgaria and I am being asked by our tax department about Upwork's VAT number and location in Europe. Can you provide me this info?

I don't actually think you need a VAT number at this stage and if you did, you would not need Upwork's VAT ID because you do not work for Upwork.

Upwork is not in Europe, but in California, USA.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths