🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Entry code
Page options
cslone12
Community Member

Entry code

Employer is asking for my entry code. I have no clue what this is, new to freelance and Upwork
8 REPLIES 8
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christopher,

I checked the job I believe you are referring to and it looks like it's already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the client has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Christopher S wrote:
Employer is asking for my entry code. I have no clue what this is, new to freelance and Upwork

You need to learn internets and scams because you're about to get taken for a ride with your bank account pumped and dumped.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Christopher: There is no such thing as an "entry code" on Upwork.

I have been asked "entry code" multiple times. So there is not such term on Upwork? When this is asked, it is most likely a scam?

Hi Junko,

Please check out this post for tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation. We count on your help and diligence to make the Upwork experience as safe as possible. 

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
be152631
Community Member

Andrea,

So just to be clear, is any job requesting an "entry code" a scam/violating the TOS? I can't find any other mention of entry codes on this website. I just received an invite asking for one and want to do my due diligence before accepting. Thank you!

re: "So just to be clear, is any job requesting an 'entry code' a scam/violating the TOS? I can't find any other mention of entry codes on this website. I just received an invite asking for one and want to do my due diligence before accepting."

Lydia:
That is a great question.

Is any job requesting an "entry code" a scam?
Probably.

But not necessarily.

Is it a violation of Upwork ToS to ask for an entry code?
No.

Asking for an entry code is NOT mentioned in Upwork ToS. So it is NOT a violation to ask for an entry code. As there is no such thing as an "entry code" on Upwork, it is no more a violation of ToS to ask for one than it would be if a client asked for a "red-smelted gilfernack."

I have not personally received an invite that asks for an "entry code," so I can not speak with complete authority on what you are experiencing.

But I can point out this:
If you receive an INVITE, it does not cost you any connects to respond to the job posting.

I am assuming that this is just a scam, but if you think this might be a real job, it wouldn't cost you any connects to briefly reply and let the client know that he can hire you now. (Just ignore the question about "entry code.")

How could this NOT be a scam? MAYBE the client created a job posting for another site that does indeed need an entry code, and then the client copied the language of that job posting over to the job post that they posted on Upwork. I'm just trying to speculate and try to think of SOME explanation for this. I really don't know.

But a key point is this:
We see in the previous posts in this thread that a "client" who asked a freelancer for an "entry code" already had their job posting removed for violating Upwork ToS. So presumably the same "scam script" is being followed by any "client" who asks for an "entry code."

lysis10
Community Member

Lydia V wrote:

Andrea,

So just to be clear, is any job requesting an "entry code" a scam/violating the TOS? I can't find any other mention of entry codes on this website. I just received an invite asking for one and want to do my due diligence before accepting. Thank you!

yeah it's a part of a scam. Give them a fake code and they will still talk to you lol (I guess you shouldn't talk to them since it's against TOS now)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths