🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Equipment cost
Page options
jlhignite
Community Member

Equipment cost

I expected a job as a customer service representative. The company sent me a check to deposit for the equipment cost. They are now having me pay for it out of the funds I just deposited. Is this normal?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear this happened! I checked and can confirm the client's account has already been actioned as per our processes. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

It's a scam.

This is not a real client.

This is a scammer who is trying to steal about $3000 from your bank account.

The check is fake.
If you deposit the check, and send the "client" money, then they receive untraceable and unrecoverable money. Then the bank claws back the funds when the check doesn't clear. You will lose the money AND lose your bank account.

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for freelancers to receive funds OUTSIDE of the Upwork platform. This is a serious violation. Because this is your first offense and because you are new, Upwork is not going to terminate your account. But normally Upwork is likely to penalize and even terminate the account of a freelancer who is caught receiving a check from a client.

That is the amount of what they deposited. They sent me a check and are trying to get me to pay though paypal

Jenny H wrote:
That is the amount of what they deposited. They sent me a check and are trying to get me to pay though paypal

It's a scam. Clients are required to buy stuff themselves. It's prohibited to take any money from clients for any reason, except for being paid for work via Upwork.

re: "That is the amount of what they deposited. They sent me a check and are trying to get me to pay though paypal"

What do you plan to do next?

I called my bank and made them aware. I wish I could let more people know about this.

re: "I called my bank and made them aware."

You did the right thing.

re: "I wish I could let more people know about this."

That is kind of you.

But the important thing is that YOU know about this.

All of the experienced Upwork freelancers already know about this.

For jump-in newbies? This is a crucible through which they must pass.

Hi Jenny,

I'm sorry to hear this happened! I checked and can confirm the client's account has already been actioned as per our processes. For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs.

~Andrea
Upwork

Jenny H wrote:
I called my bank and made them aware. I wish I could let more people know about this.

No need. Everybody who reads forum posts knows about this. 

I hope you did not lose any money. Another guy reported that he was arrested at his bank for money laundering or something. No idea if that was true or not.

re: "Another guy reported that he was arrested at his bank for money laundering or something. No idea if that was true or not."

I don't know if it is true. It could certainly be true that he was arrested or maybe given a stern lecture.

It could be that he THOUGHT he was in suspected of "money laundering."

It could be that somebody used the term "money laundering" in his presence.

But trying to deposit a fake check is definitely NOT money laundering.

There's a LOT of terminology for this sort of thing. Dozens of terms for different variations of depositing a bad check. NONE of them have anything to do with money laundering. Money laundering involves REAL money, not fake checks. I'm not sure why people get that confused, other than the fact that both have to do with money.

https://sqnbankingsystems.com/check-fraud-101/check-fraud-glossary/

Jenny H. wrote:

" I wish I could let more people know about this."

----------

So do I, but unfortunately, this is the type of situation that many newbies don't learn about until after they are victimized and come to the boards to report... 

Viacheslav K wrote:

Jenny H wrote:

It's a scam. Clients are required to buy stuff themselves. It's prohibited to take any money from clients for any reason, except for being paid for work via Upwork.

You mean freelancers are required to buy their own stuff, right?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths