cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding Work Hours On An Hourly Contract

Dragica V Member Since: Aug 24, 2017
1 of 14

Hi ! 

I have been working on an hourly contract with a 15hr time limit set by my client. However, more work came in this week, and he has been notified that I am going to exceed the working hours on UpWork. 

Even with the 15hr time limit being exceeded, I still kept the time tracker on, screenshots were taken during the time I was working, and the time tracker has around 21hrs tracked so far. However, I still can not seem to see these hours in the time log in my UpWork reports. I was wondering if I should insert them manually regarldless, or if they are put in the log shortly before the client has the chance to review the work (on Sundays when the work week is over)?

I could really use your help on this, as I want to make sure everything is logged in neatly and properly. 

Thank you!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

You already logged time with the time tracker.

Do NOT attempt to add this time manually as well.

The time is already in your work diary.

It is your choice whether or not to work beyond the weekly limit.

It is the client's choice whether or not to raise the limit before the week ends so that you will be paid for those hours.

By default, you will not be paid for the extra hours.

Dragica V Member Since: Aug 24, 2017
3 of 14

Thank you. 

My client is aware of the extra hours as we discussed this. However, I can not see the extra hours in the time log. Does it take some time before they appear? 

Community Guru
4 of 14

Your client will need to increase the maximum number of hours per week in order for these extra hours to result in payment.

There CAN be delays in seeing the hours show up in the work diary, but usually it is only a matter of hours.

Be sure to launch the desktop app and leave it running for a few minutes.

Yesterday I saw the app go offline, so it was tracking in cached mode. It needs a chance to upload data when a connection is re-established.

If you don't see the time show up in the work diary today, then I suggest adding it manually.

Just check before the week ends to make sure you have not recorded the hours twice.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

There CAN be delays in seeing the hours show up in the work diary, but usually it is only a matter of hours.

If you don't see the time show up today, then I suggest adding it manually.

Just check before the week ends to make sure you have not recorded the hours twice.

She did not say the hours were not in the work diary (they will be) - She said they were not in the reports. Time over the weekly limit is NEVER in the reports.

reports.jpg

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 14

Your client needs to raise your weekly limit before Sunday night midnight UTC or you will NOT get paid for those hours (unless your client pays you as a bonus)

The reason why you can not see the "extra" hours in reports is because they are tracked, but do not count, whether they are manually added or tracked. It's like you never worked those hours except for the fact that they are in your work diary.

If your client raises the limit before Sunday all the hours up to the new raised limit will appear in reports and will be charged.

Community Guru
7 of 14

Thank you Petra for clarifying how extra hours don't show up in reports and hour totals, but do show up in the work diary.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 14

Hi Dragica,

I can confirm the information Preston and Petra shared. Unless your weekly limit is raised you'll need to ask the client to issues a bonus payment for the over time hours, which isn't covered by Hourly Payment Protection. Clients are automatically billed only for time logged within the weekly limit and that's why the hours are not reflected in the Timesheet.

Vijay M Member Since: May 9, 2008
9 of 14

Hi Vladimir,

Is the client able to see the extra hours i worked? For example, my weekly limit is 30, but i work for 10 more hours just to help things out, will the client be able to see the extra hours i put in through my work diary?

Thanks!

Vijay

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 14

Hi Vijay,

Yes your client will be able to view your hours but they won't be charged for the extra time you`ve worked. Your client will be charged only for the limit that is set on the contract, 30 hours. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS