🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Existing client asked me to set up here-n...
Page options
jnlwriter1
Community Member

Existing client asked me to set up here-now what?

A client asked me to create an UpWork account to accept payment for a job I already have. When I came in to sign up, it appears I already have an account from a former client. What is the process I need to follow to avoid a fee, since I did not get this client through UpWork?

5 REPLIES 5
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jennifer,

Please keep in mind that freelancers are allowed to have only one account. Opening more than one account is a violation of our TOS.
I would also like to clarify that only Rising Talent and Top Rated freelancers have the option to use the feature to receive 0% fee on their contracts with clients who have signed up through their unique link.
To learn more about Upwork and how it works, check out our resources Here.

Our team will also reach out to you via ticket and email on your current account to assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hmm. If we are both already UpWork users but we are not allowed more than one account how can we “sign up” using a special link? This is precisely why I asked the question here, because of these conflicting directives.
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Check if "Direct Contracts" is available to you. If it is, use it.

If the client already has an Upwork account, of course they cannot use Direct Contracts.

Inform them that high fees will apply for you to get receive payment from them through Upwork and that you'd rather continue receiving payment as you have been.

So no existing UpWork member can ask their new freelancers to use UpWork without the freelancers getting fees?

This is profoundly confusing since I was asked by an existing client of mine a few years ago to join for billing purposes and it worked fine, with no fees.

Hi Jennifer,

Please share more details directly on your ticket so that our team can advise you accordingly about features and how to proceed further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths