🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Eye Catching Proposals
Page options
crysmd929
Community Member

Eye Catching Proposals

All advice points to writing a tailored proposal that includes the client's name.  How are we supposed to do that if we cannot see the name of the client until after the proposal is submitted?  Do you need to pay for a membership to see this?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How are we supposed to do that if we cannot see the name of the client until after the proposal is submitted?"

Upwork intentionally block freelancers from seeing the client's name or other contact information when you look at their job postings.

You do not need to address clients by name when you submit an initial proposal. I certainly don't.

re: "Do you need to pay for a membership to see this?"

A paid membership will not provide you with this information.

Spoiler
Thank you Preston for the response.  However, I have seen many people advise others on here that when putting in proposals to address the person by name to make yourself stand out.

If the client has a history, most of the time the client's name will be mentioned in the feedback. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
prachi163
Community Member

I think it's overkill to go out of your way to find out the client's name. If the client wanted you to know their name, they'd tell you in the job posting itself.

What's more, the name that is used in feedback is often inaccurate since it seems multiple people are authorised to use the same client account. 

If the name isn't there in the job posting, then so be it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths