There are so many fake job offers.

How to bypass them 

advice pls.

Nadil

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
032fb400
Community Member

Hello Nadil

Though it is impossible to completely avoid fake posting, there are a couple of things you can try.

I might be wrong or not accurate but the first thing I look out for is a verified payment tick :heavy_check_mark:.

If verified I try to glance at

• History,
  • Other job postings,
  • Reviews
  • as well as how much has been spent.

If verified but no reviews, no history, or money spent, I spend more time considering

• The nature of the job posting,
  • Looking out for red flags.
  • Such as wanting an expert in web design at a fixed budget of $5
  • Or offering an exaggerated fee for a simple fixed, (which I call too good to be true),
  • Or using the wrong tags,
  • there are a lot of them like looking for a beginner with 5 years of experience in 6 skill sets, etc.

But if not verified, I look at the job posting thoroughly, for red flags in the

• choice of words,
  • language structure,
  • descriptions, tags, etc.

I am yet to get a job here on Upwork, so I can tell you that I am using the best approach, so this is just a suggestion. But keep in mind that you can't filter out fake postings completely but you can try to minimize how you engage them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Kind regards 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
miroslav_damyan
Community Member

This is so frustrating. I cannot recall I haveencountered many fake posts, but I simply don't reply posts with unclear problems, goals, timeline and budget. 

032fb400
Community Member

Hello Nadil

Though it is impossible to completely avoid fake posting, there are a couple of things you can try.

I might be wrong or not accurate but the first thing I look out for is a verified payment tick :heavy_check_mark:.

If verified I try to glance at

• History,
  • Other job postings,
  • Reviews
  • as well as how much has been spent.

If verified but no reviews, no history, or money spent, I spend more time considering

• The nature of the job posting,
  • Looking out for red flags.
  • Such as wanting an expert in web design at a fixed budget of $5
  • Or offering an exaggerated fee for a simple fixed, (which I call too good to be true),
  • Or using the wrong tags,
  • there are a lot of them like looking for a beginner with 5 years of experience in 6 skill sets, etc.

But if not verified, I look at the job posting thoroughly, for red flags in the

• choice of words,
  • language structure,
  • descriptions, tags, etc.

I am yet to get a job here on Upwork, so I can tell you that I am using the best approach, so this is just a suggestion. But keep in mind that you can't filter out fake postings completely but you can try to minimize how you engage them.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Kind regards 

marthablackson
Community Member

This is an easy trap to fall into. There are several good suggestions already mentioned i.e. checking reviews, payment verification, job history etc. 

I'd like to add a big warning bright red flag, is when a client asks to chat on Telegram or any external platform, before a contract has been agreed via Upwork. These are known financial scams. It is also against Upwork's policy so don't fall for it and report them. 

Yep I agree with this! Any comms outside Upwork before the contract is secure is dodgy. Also any offer to pay outside of Upwork. I am also cautious of clients who don't have a verified payment method. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths