🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Fake propositions
Page options
nanoo1
Community Member

Fake propositions

Hi Guys, happy New Year! I'm quite new on the plateform and i've been contacted through your site but I think it's a fake name and announce in order to get infos from freelancers for whatever reason. The conversation won't go on but I'm wondering how reliable are the clients...? Thanks.Charlotte

4 REPLIES 4
renata101
Community Member

Charlotte R wrote:

Hi Guys, happy New Year! I'm quite new on the plateform and i've been contacted through your site but I think it's a fake name and announce in order to get infos from freelancers for whatever reason. The conversation won't go on but I'm wondering how reliable are the clients...? Thanks.Charlotte

Hi Charlotte, 

I have many reliable clients. Some of them even invited me without posting their jobs. That said, people use the platform for all kinds of things, and it definitely pays to keep your wits about you. It's good to go with your instincts if something seems a little fishy. There is never any reason to share things like your banking details with clients.  

Maybe just send a screenshot of the message to one of the mods? You can also flag anything you think is suspicious. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Charlotte R wrote:

Hi Charlotte,

Happy New Year to you too! One way of getting round this (if it is an invitation to bid) is to ask more questions without giving too much away.

I give more details when I apply  for a job, but not so much if I have been invited. 

Can you paraphrase what the client said (don't quote word for word). 

Thanks for your answer. Well, I did ask questions and that's how I found out it was scam; talked on skype and suddenly didn't have the same name, amongst other weird lil details, would postpone skype interview when I was insisting to meet on.....

But I applied for the job, using 6 conne for something fake and that makes me think, okey, I'm going to pay for fake announces, will give it another try but....

Charlotte R wrote:

Thanks for your answer. Well, I did ask questions and that's how I found out it was scam; talked on skype and suddenly didn't have the same name, amongst other weird lil details, would postpone skype interview when I was insisting to meet on.....

But I applied for the job, using 6 conne for something fake and that makes me think, okey, I'm going to pay for fake announces, will give it another try but....

Flag the job.  If it is in violation of Upwork policy (ex: fake), you should get back your connects. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths