Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Tax Classification?

Active Member
Laverne C Member Since: Apr 24, 2017
1 of 6

How do I determine my federal tax classification?


I am a freelancer and do not have an LLC/corporation/partnership, etc.


Can I just be categorized as a "U.S. Person"?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6


You have choices aplenty!


You can be just about anything you want to be.


You can file as a U.S. person.

You can create an LLC.

You can create an official company.


If you take all of your paperwork to 5 different accountants or tax preparation pros, you will probably get 5 different ways of filing. And they would all be legal.


What works best for you isn't necessarily what will work best for somebody else.


You can just work through the forms yourself. Or you would hire professionals to do it for you. Both choices are valid.

Active Member
Theju S Member Since: Jun 11, 2018
3 of 6

Hi, I am on H4 EAD visa and I am authorized to work in US. It is my first time I am working in Upwork and I am confused about the federal tax classification. What should I chose and how it will work? How will I receive the W9 form? Please help

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 6

Hi Theju,


People located in the U.S. will need to complete their W-9 form in their Settings in order to access their earnings. We do suggest talking to a legal adviser about completing the W-9 form and the information/documents necessary for it. Unfortunately, we won't be able to legally advise about it.

~ Bojan
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 6

The easier answer is that you should file as a self-employed freelancer. I used TurboTax this year and it worked out great. They make it very easy to get help if you need it.


It costs, but trying to do self-employment taxes yourself can be a nightmare (in my opinion). And it's definitely cheaper than a CPA.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 6

And the cost of Turbo Tax is a business expense...