🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Feedback for milestone addition I didn't acce...
Page options
dunlop_renee
Community Member

Feedback for milestone addition I didn't accept?

I completed my first contract the client was happy with enough to want more. They added a milestone without my approval that I couldn't accept, nor could I reach them. Now they are furious.

1) Are they obligated to only give feedback on the contract I filled?

2) Am I allowed to use quotes from thier initial feedback when I give feedback in return? (do I even give writen feedback to them? Or only star ratings?) I ask this not with intent of stirring up trouble, but so I can show how happy they were initially.

3) On a side note, this was a difficult question to ask without discussing the project. I'm trying to abide by Upwork rules. Did I accomplish this to Upwork's satisfaction?

7 REPLIES 7
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Joanne, Sorry to hear about these. There's a ticket submitted about your issue. You may check the article sent to the ticket thread. Thanks.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Hi Jo-An. There was a ticket submitted? What does that mean, and where do I find it?

Hi Joanne,

Melissa is right. Negative feedback will also affect your Job Success Score. You can access the ticket link here.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Thanks Jo-An. I submitted both of those questions, so I guess that is a good thing. I hope.

They paid for the job I accepted. I was trying to figure out why my pay hadn't shown up yet, and as I understand it, it has and will be released in a day or two. But I still can't believe they can simply tack on a job, milestone and escrow, and give me bad feedback for not accepting it. That would mean every freelancer on Upwork is at risk every time they communicate about a job they don't take. Am I really understanding you correctly?

And I'm still curious -- if they replied through messages about how happy they were about the job I DID agree to, am I allowed to put quotes from their messages in my review?

Sorry, I just thought of one more. I gather I have to provide feedback to them. I no longer trust them at all (even the transcribing they hired me for was probably to use someone else's video content for their own benefit.) If I give them negative feedback, they will surely retaliate. If I give them positive, I'm betraying who I am and every freelancer on Upwork.I could really use some advice. I'm trying to do the right thing, but I see no way to accomplish this with so many rules and my own reputation at risk. I just can't believe this is my first experience here and one tiny gig for what could be a scam is going to damage a 17 year reputation, and that there is nothing I can do about it. I hope I'm misunderstanding, or blowing this out of proportion. Or that they decide to do the right thing too -- but all things considered, that is probably stupidly optimistic.

Though I struggle to sing Upwork's praises right now, I am very, very grateful for your advice. Thank you so much.
Now please excuse me while I scream into my pillow. ACK!

holymell
Community Member

1. They can leave whatever feedback they wish. The client is angry (though they shouldn't be. Who just adds work without asking first?), so be prepared for negative feedback.

2. I don't know what you're asking here. If they've already left feedback that would mean the contract is closed and you can wash your hands of the whole thing. You can respond to negative feedback however you like, but you should always be professional, obviously. You do give them written feedback. But the feedback system is double blind, so you won't know what they wrote about you until you submit yours to them. If you end the contract yourself, there's a chance (a slim chance, but a chance) that they won't leave any feedback for you, which is definitely preferable to bad feedback.

3. You've only accomplished a job to Upwork's satisfaction if the client is happy, so even if through no fault of your own the client is angry, then no. It's considered a "failed" job if the client is not happy.

Hi Melissa,

As for question 2), they did finally respond to my finished work from the agreed job, and were really happy with it. Both husband and wife replied. I was asking if I was allowed to quote that response (I called it feedback, which I can see was confusing) to show they were pleased until they tacked on another milestone with an additional escrow.

I've learned I have seven days to return the escrow. I'm anxious to get this over with, but want to know what to prepare for first.

I also want to know, how on earth is this allowed to happen? How can a client simply add work and post an escrow you didn't accept, then complain about it?

This whole thing felt fishy from the start. I probably can't elaborate more than saying they required a small initial milestone that I met, but they never gave me the greenlight to move forward. They never replied at all. I finally moved forward anyway, and sent the assignment that they were so happy with, but they got it a few hours late because they didn't respond (and yes, I made sure to reach out repeatedly so this would be documented). It felt like I could be set up for them complaining so they didn't have to pay the bill. Now this has happened, and I'm wondering how to avoid such issues in the future.

Is there a way, a database or something, that helps people to avoid such clients? Some sort of way to know who they are? So far this has been like taking a gig at Craigslist, but paying 20% to get it, and risking the reputation of your entire career.

Yeah this is a bad situation. And it's ridiculous that things like this can have a negative impact on your JSS. There needs to be something done to prevent freelancers from feeling pressured to compete work they haven't agreed to. I don't know how Upwork could fix this, but I wish they would because it isn't fair.

yes, you can quote them in your feedback. Also, please leave honest feedback. Otherwise how can other freelancers avoid falling into the same trap?

Your client can NOT see the feedback you leave for them until they've left feedback for you. So leave honest feedback.

As to how you can avoid this, well, you said it felt fishy from the start. Next time, trust your gut. Really.

I screen my clients. If they treat me like a human being as opposed to a work horse they can order around, I take the job. It gets easier. I promise.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths