🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » File Download Problems?
Page options
e_groeschl
Community Member

File Download Problems?

Hello!
I have had two people in messages send me a link for a Google Drive download. I open the .zip and extract and am given a password protected shortcut. I put in the password and nothing opens. (I pre-scanned the documents first for virus and nothing came up).

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there another way that people send files?

Any help is appreciated!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Use something else:

FTP

email

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

WeTransfer.com

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
akash360
Community Member

Yes , you want to choose another way like drop box using to fix your problem or just another drive to link sending you.I hope your problem is done.

How do you send them directly to Dropbox?  I'd love that -- but find nothing.

re: "How do you send them directly to Dropbox? I'd love that -- but find nothing."

Are you asking how to send files directly from Upwork to Dropbox?

No, Upwork doesn't have anything like that.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Use something else:

FTP

email

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive

WeTransfer.com

shetani
Community Member

Erica, remove that file from your machine, clear the cache and cookies on any browser you used to open the file, and scan your machine for malware (again).

Someone posted about the same file type here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Warning-to-Voice-Over-freelancers/m-p/573454

Thanks everyone! I will keep all of those in mind and definitely re-scan my machine.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Erica, 

If you haven't already, please flag the client's job post so that the team who will receive the can proceed with reviewing this user's account. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
tj1972
Community Member

Hi,

Are there problems with downloading files thru Chrome?
It's not first time for last few months I'm experiencing the same problem - it's very low speed and final fails.

Right now I'm having same problem with MS Edge (or whatever it's called). Used it because Chrome did not do job again.

Forgot to mention - uploading does without any problems.

Thanks

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tamaz, 

Do you have a screen grab you can share so that I can use it as reference when I file a report. Also, does this happen when you download files from your Messages page? 

~ Avery
Upwork
tj1972
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks for reply.

There is nothing special to grab the screen - usual Chrome notification on error of dowloading.

If there it still download then the speed is very low - for example yeastarday it was something about 90 Kb/sec wich is very low.

And, yes - problem is when downloading from messages page.

The thing is that this was happening for some time, then everything went OK and now again back. Before it was happening with Chrome only while Edge was OK. But yestarday also Edge had same problems.

Just for comparison - from other websites there was no problem with download.

Thanks

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Tamaz,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket with more details and assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Tamaz, were you able to solve the issue? I am having the same problem, I can't download files from upwork messages through any browser (Chrome, Safari, Mozilla). The download starts, then becomes really slow, then stops and finallly shows an error message. It is worth noting that I am having this issue only in Upwork, I can download files from my email and from other websites without problem, but it's really frustrating because I have to bother my clients asking them to send me the files through other means. Also, I tried to contact client support and it was impossible to deal with the bot. Can any one help me with this?

Hi Maria,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths