🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Filtering jobs by state and city location
Page options
melinda-sims
Community Member

Filtering jobs by state and city location

A few days ago (April 23rd 2019) I was able to run a job search and there were filters available by state and city, after I had chosen United States as the country. Today I cannot find those filters - only the country - am I completely misremembering what I saw, or what am I missing? Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Melinda,

A filter by city is not available, unfortunately, but you can use the Location filter to filter per country. You can put the name of the city in the search field as one of the keywords though. Sometimes clients mention the location in job posts if they are looking for freelancers who reside there.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you for the reply! Were you testing out a new feature or was I hallucinating? Because I just did this two days ago. Once the country was entered, a box popped up with states, and after entering a state there was a box for city. 

If such a feature is not being tested, I propose it should be! Thanks.

I wholeheartedly agree!

dwhoel
Community Member

I am new to this platform, and will try the keyword approach to city locale. It would be far more useful to use a filter to sort jobs by location as is common on every type of website app that I have ever used. As photographer, my physical presence is necessary for most job types.

dwhoel
Community Member

Having tried keyword for locale in my search, it appears that job listings are not required to post their location. In the case of physical work like mine, photography, the location is critical. I do not see how this platform can be productive if determining location has to discovered through a question and answer process. Location should be a basic specification. Please consider requiring location on job posts and adding a filter to job searches for location to make that useful.

David H wrote:

Having tried keyword for locale in my search, it appears that job listings are not required to post their location. In the case of physical work like mine, photography, the location is critical. I do not see how this platform can be productive if determining location has to discovered through a question and answer process. Location should be a basic specification. Please consider requiring location on job posts and adding a filter to job searches for location to make that useful.

I'm guessing that only 0,00001% of jobs on upwork require the freelancer being at a specific location. (I made that number up, but it must be pretty low). You will find very few job posts that require it, which I understand does not work for you. 

Location is important to me as well - I do hardware building, prototyping, and physical products. It is not required but very useful to know if the customer is within driving distance so I can deliver what I build. I have found UpWork's utility for me  very limited without a location feature. Even if I search by keyword, it is hit or miss. Did the person use Seattle, Washington, or Pacific Northwest in their description? No way to tell.

Thanks for sharing your feedback about adding this feature, Melinda. I’ll be sure to share this with the team for consideration.

~ Joanne
Upwork

That is interesting considering a substantial number of job offers posted up here are specific to people living in or near a particular city and requires actually going on location. Maybe a crackdown on non-remote jobs should be done until Upwork decides to filter by city/state/prefecture. If this site is intended for remote jobs only, then make it very clear to people posting job offers, otherwise stop taking their money for jobs that won't get filled.

I would also love this feature. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but about 1/3 of the job posts I look at require someone in that time zone or even in their location. I waste a lot of time reading posts I'm a good fit only to see that they want someone on the east coast. Now I just scroll to the bottom to see first. It's a big waste of time.

Agreed
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I appreciate your suggestion, David. I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
8254fe08
Community Member

Hi I completely agree with you. Did you find another resource for your photography needs? I'm looking for photographers in Los Angeles. Thanks

dwhoel
Community Member

I use Bark.com and Thumbtack.com

Please, please reintroduce this feature if it was being tested. If not, please consider adding it. It's an industry standard on most freelancing sites, and with the rigorous vetting process freelancers have to go through here compared to other sites, I'd go as far as to say it's a no-brainer. As a photographer/videographer, the amount of jobs I could potentally do would easily double if this feature was brought back.

edb75cdb
Community Member

Please make a feature to filter by city or at least state. This is too difficult for freelance photographers like me and many others that have this complaint. 

meganrayo
Community Member

Filtering by city is THE most important filtering criteria for me as an in-person service (videography.) I hope Upwork adds this feature. Otherwise, there's not much point for me to have a profile with them.

agreed.. i spent hours building my profile only to discover there is no way to filter by city. i feel like i wasted my time. this places upwork at a huge disadvantage compared to other similar sites... get with the program

lisa_willis
Community Member

I feel they explicitly state that is not the intention here...

On their own page https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500007578942-What-kind-of-jobs-aren-t-allowed-on-Upwor... 

"Upwork is a marketplace built for professional jobs that can typically be done remotely on a computer, rather than, say, physical labor. We want to be sure freelancers aren’t offered work that might pose safety, regulatory, or ethical risks. So it's “yes” to building an app, and “no” to building a fence; “yes” to writing a biography and “no” to writing a fake product review."

They go so far as to list the acceptable jobs for you:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024801733

Photogrpahy etc are directly oppositional to their platform as they have defined it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths