cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering jobs by state and city location

Highlighted
Melinda S Member Since: Apr 25, 2019
1 of 13

A few days ago (April 23rd 2019) I was able to run a job search and there were filters available by state and city, after I had chosen United States as the country. Today I cannot find those filters - only the country - am I completely misremembering what I saw, or what am I missing? Thank you!

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2 of 13

Hi Melinda,

A filter by city is not available, unfortunately, but you can use the Location filter to filter per country. You can put the name of the city in the search field as one of the keywords though. Sometimes clients mention the location in job posts if they are looking for freelancers who reside there.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 13

Thank you for the reply! Were you testing out a new feature or was I hallucinating? Because I just did this two days ago. Once the country was entered, a box popped up with states, and after entering a state there was a box for city. 

If such a feature is not being tested, I propose it should be! Thanks.

Highlighted
Michael H Member Since: Jul 19, 2019
4 of 13

I wholeheartedly agree!

Highlighted
David H Member Since: Aug 24, 2020
5 of 13

I am new to this platform, and will try the keyword approach to city locale. It would be far more useful to use a filter to sort jobs by location as is common on every type of website app that I have ever used. As photographer, my physical presence is necessary for most job types.

Highlighted
David H Member Since: Aug 24, 2020
6 of 13

Having tried keyword for locale in my search, it appears that job listings are not required to post their location. In the case of physical work like mine, photography, the location is critical. I do not see how this platform can be productive if determining location has to discovered through a question and answer process. Location should be a basic specification. Please consider requiring location on job posts and adding a filter to job searches for location to make that useful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 13

David H wrote:

Having tried keyword for locale in my search, it appears that job listings are not required to post their location. In the case of physical work like mine, photography, the location is critical. I do not see how this platform can be productive if determining location has to discovered through a question and answer process. Location should be a basic specification. Please consider requiring location on job posts and adding a filter to job searches for location to make that useful.

I'm guessing that only 0,00001% of jobs on upwork require the freelancer being at a specific location. (I made that number up, but it must be pretty low). You will find very few job posts that require it, which I understand does not work for you. 

Highlighted
8 of 13

Location is important to me as well - I do hardware building, prototyping, and physical products. It is not required but very useful to know if the customer is within driving distance so I can deliver what I build. I have found UpWork's utility for me  very limited without a location feature. Even if I search by keyword, it is hit or miss. Did the person use Seattle, Washington, or Pacific Northwest in their description? No way to tell.

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
9 of 13

Thanks for sharing your feedback about adding this feature, Melinda. I’ll be sure to share this with the team for consideration.

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Bria S A Member Since: Sep 4, 2019
10 of 13

I would also love this feature. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but about 1/3 of the job posts I look at require someone in that time zone or even in their location. I waste a lot of time reading posts I'm a good fit only to see that they want someone on the east coast. Now I just scroll to the bottom to see first. It's a big waste of time.