🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Finding a job.
Page options
ebb9f1d9
Community Member

Finding a job.

Hi, there!

I have been using Upwork since November 2022. My start was very good. I got a client just in a week and am still working with that client on a long-term basis.

But here I am, applying daily to different jobs, but unfortunately, I'm not being hired by anyone. I really need the job because I'm the only one who handles my family's finances.

There is enough competition on Upwork. Clients just send invites and hire freelancers that have attractive profiles with JSS or any talent badges.

What should new freelancers do? Daily, I'm giving 10 hours of availability to Upwork and doing a continuous search and applying for jobs, but all in vain.

Really, I'm getting disappointed day by day.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You've mostly been on Upwork during a slow time of year, when lots of clients are on holidays. Things will probably pick up again from mid-January. However, it would be a good idea to have a more diverse marketing strategy instead of spending 10 hours a day applying for jobs only on Upwork. Have you tried other websites or social media, or learned about other marketing techniques? 

I would also advise you to go through your profile overview and fix the mistakes. In the first paragraph, it should say "sentence structure" not "structure sentence". You've got quotation marks around several words and phrases where there's no need for quotation marks, and you've capitalised some words that don't need to be capitalised. If you want to get editing and proofreading jobs, your writing needs to be error-free. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You've mostly been on Upwork during a slow time of year, when lots of clients are on holidays. Things will probably pick up again from mid-January. However, it would be a good idea to have a more diverse marketing strategy instead of spending 10 hours a day applying for jobs only on Upwork. Have you tried other websites or social media, or learned about other marketing techniques? 

I would also advise you to go through your profile overview and fix the mistakes. In the first paragraph, it should say "sentence structure" not "structure sentence". You've got quotation marks around several words and phrases where there's no need for quotation marks, and you've capitalised some words that don't need to be capitalised. If you want to get editing and proofreading jobs, your writing needs to be error-free. 

And the portfolio piece "The Industrial Resolution" should be revolution. Actually, I suspect that job violated Upwork's prohibition on Academic Cheating.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

learning about other marketing techniques with little skill

Community Member

Stay positive. It is now Q1 for most of the world, so new budgets are available for buying freelance services!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths