Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Finding new work

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
11 of 25

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

@Reem H wrote:
as a newbie, no not really.
However, as your profile grows you get invites and repeat clients so you wouldn't really need to apply

That's not true. 

 

Invites ebb and flow. Sometimes, I'm pummeled with them. Other times, I have to enter the bidding jungle.

 

There are additional factors such as the industry of the freelancer and where they appear on the "recommended freelancer" rotation. 

 

So many threads on the forum complaining about a slowdown in invites, why they don't appear on the first page, how the recommendation rotation works...etc...

 


I had no idea, I always read about Top Rated freelancers declining invites because they have too many, and usually have a lot of connects because they don't really need them.

 

I thought all your dreams came true once you're Top Rated, and all your problems would turn into fries.


 To a great degree, that's true, Reem--but, it doesn't mean there aren't periods of higher and lower activity. It's also beneficial to bid sometimes because there may be more interesting or more lucrative jobs in your feed than the ones you've been invited to interview for.

 

One of the true benefits of being well-established is that you get to choose your work, whether that's based on pay scale or the type of work involved. Finding your ideal projects will typically require a mix of invitations and bidding.

 

 


 yea that makes sense.

It doesn't sound too bad though, I mean even if you're going through a slow period it'll be relatively easy to find new work anyway since you're Top Rated and (most)clients are more likely to choose you.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 25

@Reem H wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

@Reem H wrote:
as a newbie, no not really.
However, as your profile grows you get invites and repeat clients so you wouldn't really need to apply

That's not true. 

 

Invites ebb and flow. Sometimes, I'm pummeled with them. Other times, I have to enter the bidding jungle.

 

There are additional factors such as the industry of the freelancer and where they appear on the "recommended freelancer" rotation. 

 

So many threads on the forum complaining about a slowdown in invites, why they don't appear on the first page, how the recommendation rotation works...etc...

 


I had no idea, I always read about Top Rated freelancers declining invites because they have too many, and usually have a lot of connects because they don't really need them.

 

I thought all your dreams came true once you're Top Rated, and all your problems would turn into fries.


 To a great degree, that's true, Reem--but, it doesn't mean there aren't periods of higher and lower activity. It's also beneficial to bid sometimes because there may be more interesting or more lucrative jobs in your feed than the ones you've been invited to interview for.

 

One of the true benefits of being well-established is that you get to choose your work, whether that's based on pay scale or the type of work involved. Finding your ideal projects will typically require a mix of invitations and bidding.

 

 


 yea that makes sense.

It doesn't sound too bad though, I mean even if you're going through a slow period it'll be relatively easy to find new work anyway since you're Top Rated and (most)clients are more likely to choose you.


Reem I am top rated and I haven't noticed a ton of invitations coming my way - like none in the last two weeks - or is it months, I have lost count. (The ones I have received were unsuitable in every respect).

 

Sometimes the rabbit comes out of the hat - sometimes it doesn't.

 

 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
13 of 25

 yea that makes sense.

It doesn't sound too bad though, I mean even if you're going through a slow period it'll be relatively easy to find new work anyway since you're Top Rated and (most)clients are more likely to choose you.

Not neccesarily true. It depends on what the client is seeking. 
There are no assurances when you become Top-Rated. The reason I keep on about this is because the psychology I see coming through is that once someone reaches top rated status, life automatically becomes easier...or money becomes easier to earn. 
You'll still need to apply to jobs. You'll still need to write excellent proposals, understand how to interview the client to avoid being scammed, experience scope creep, and you'll still need to practice great contract management skills (e.g. not all clients close the contracts, some disappear, others may say you did great in messaging, then rate you low on the private feedback score). 
Even then, some clients choose you, and some do not. 
There will be OTHER top rated competitors in your market. And, there are new freelancers consistently onboarding on Upwork. 
Just a few things to consider....
Keep in mind that many who are responding to you have a definitive niche, some have legal expertise with contract management/negotiations, and several have been freelancing for years. So, they're already "top-rated" somewhere else outside of Upwork due to years of experience in their field. 
There are other factors at play here.

 

Community Guru
Reem H Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
14 of 25

@Nichola L wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Reem H wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

@Reem H wrote:
as a newbie, no not really.
However, as your profile grows you get invites and repeat clients so you wouldn't really need to apply

That's not true. 

 

Invites ebb and flow. Sometimes, I'm pummeled with them. Other times, I have to enter the bidding jungle.

 

There are additional factors such as the industry of the freelancer and where they appear on the "recommended freelancer" rotation. 

 

So many threads on the forum complaining about a slowdown in invites, why they don't appear on the first page, how the recommendation rotation works...etc...

 


I had no idea, I always read about Top Rated freelancers declining invites because they have too many, and usually have a lot of connects because they don't really need them.

 

I thought all your dreams came true once you're Top Rated, and all your problems would turn into fries.


 To a great degree, that's true, Reem--but, it doesn't mean there aren't periods of higher and lower activity. It's also beneficial to bid sometimes because there may be more interesting or more lucrative jobs in your feed than the ones you've been invited to interview for.

 

One of the true benefits of being well-established is that you get to choose your work, whether that's based on pay scale or the type of work involved. Finding your ideal projects will typically require a mix of invitations and bidding.

 

 


 yea that makes sense.

It doesn't sound too bad though, I mean even if you're going through a slow period it'll be relatively easy to find new work anyway since you're Top Rated and (most)clients are more likely to choose you.


Reem I am top rated and I haven't noticed a ton of invitations coming my way - like none in the last two weeks - or is it months, I have lost count. (The ones I have received were unsuitable in every respect).

 

Sometimes the rabbit comes out of the hat - sometimes it doesn't.

 


 Kat C : 

Not neccesarily true. It depends on what the client is seeking. 
There are no assurances when you become Top-Rated. The reason I keep on about this is because the psychology I see coming through is that once someone reaches top rated status, life automatically becomes easier...or money becomes easier to earn. 
You'll still need to apply to jobs. You'll still need to write excellent proposals, understand how to interview the client to avoid being scammed, experience scope creep, and you'll still need to practice great contract management skills (e.g. not all clients close the contracts, some disappear, others may say you did great in messaging, then rate you low on the private feedback score). 
Even then, some clients choose you, and some do not. 
There will be OTHER top rated competitors in your market. And, there are new freelancers consistently onboarding on Upwork. 
Just a few things to consider....
Keep in mind that many who are responding to you have a definitive niche, some have legal expertise with contract management/negotiations, and several have been freelancing for years. So, they're already "top-rated" somewhere else outside of Upwork due to years of experience in their field. 
There are other factors at play here.
Like Kat said, I did assume life automatically got easier once you're on top. But yes I understand now it's not always the case, and that your Top Rated status won't solve all your problems, you still need to work hard to STAY on top.
Thank you everyone, I am really glad I got to learn this early on Smiley Happy you were all so helpful!
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 25

@John K wrote:

Chad, if you really "spent over $1,000,000 in Facebook marketing to teach myself the best tactics, strategies and funnel that convert in the first week", I'm surprised you're not hiring people, instead of looking for work,


 And charging $50/hour. He must do like some of these people and bill 60 hours a day to cover that bill.

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
16 of 25

And now his rate is $100/hr.

Active Member
Chad K Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
17 of 25

Do you think that will deter people? I started my own agency after blowing up a couple of e-commerce brands through facebook. IF you google me Chad kell inc. magazine and the huffington post you can see the articles on me. 

 

Can I put real screenshots my page some how? 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 25

Yes, I did check out your profile and your name and picture do indeed link back to a person named Chad. I also see you're slinging articles HuffPo and a few other content mills.

 

I think you are clever in a few respects.

Active Member
Chad K Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
19 of 25

Is there something else I can put on there to prove its really me? I just upped my rate? My passion is marketing and I want to build out an agency but I need to get more clients and I heard upwork is a good platform to do so. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
20 of 25

I dunno man. I'm about to go warcraft cuz that's my passion.

 

Only thing you can do is bring it and own the game.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS