🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Finished project but forgot to hire. Time...
Page options
cuevasniccolei
Community Member

Finished project but forgot to hire. Time tracker. 1st Client

Hi, just finished a project for my 1st client, we already had an agreement that she'll pay the hours that i worked, we really had a smooth transaction over messages. It only took us 8-10hrs to complete everything since it's just a simple design task. The problem is she forgot to hire me directly from her end, so the job didn't show up on MY JOBS menu and I can't send her an invoice as well. I actually just realized this after since im new to the system. 😞   I haven't sent the final files yet. and it's alright with her. So we decided she hire me, and now im officially hired, but the job is an hourly project, I decided to turn ON the time tracker until it reach 8hrs, but the work diary is well, taking screenshots of my computer screen without work activities, im afraid it might affect my profile or i might be breaking some policies too. I tried putting Manual Time I already got 2hrs,  it hasn't reached the total hours since we can't add Future Time, so i still have to wait when it already passed 8-10hrs i guess. What is the best thing to do? 😞  Thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Niccolei:
MANY people learn from doing, rather than reading manuals. This is very common on Upwork.

You made some mistakes, but that's okay. Don't take it personally. Learn from your mistakes, and don't make those same mistakes again in the future.

re: "I decided to turn ON the time tracker until it reach 8hrs, but the work diary is well, taking screenshots of my computer screen without work activities"

yeah.. don't ever do that.

It doesn't work.

And you could get suspended for doing that.

Don't run the desktop time-tracker when you are not actually doing work. It is designed to NOT record time when you're not actually using the computer.

Ask the client to pay you with the client-side "pay bonus" tool.

OR ask the client to enable manual time (if it is not already enabled), and log the time manually.

If you have to wait a few more hours in order to log the full amount of manual time, then that's what you have to do.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Niccolei:
MANY people learn from doing, rather than reading manuals. This is very common on Upwork.

You made some mistakes, but that's okay. Don't take it personally. Learn from your mistakes, and don't make those same mistakes again in the future.

re: "I decided to turn ON the time tracker until it reach 8hrs, but the work diary is well, taking screenshots of my computer screen without work activities"

yeah.. don't ever do that.

It doesn't work.

And you could get suspended for doing that.

Don't run the desktop time-tracker when you are not actually doing work. It is designed to NOT record time when you're not actually using the computer.

Ask the client to pay you with the client-side "pay bonus" tool.

OR ask the client to enable manual time (if it is not already enabled), and log the time manually.

If you have to wait a few more hours in order to log the full amount of manual time, then that's what you have to do.

Niccolei, besides doing as Preston suggested, be sure you thank the client for her cooperation. Not every client is so accommodating.

Hi John,

Yes, I actually thanked her a lot of times, especially she took a chance with me despite telling her that she's my 1st client in upwork. She already gave me another job too, so that's why i want to make things perfect the next time. I actually panicked a bit about the time tracker cause I don't want to disappoint her. 😄  Thanks for the thought John. 🙂

Niccolei C wrote:

I tried putting Manual Time I already got 2hrs,  it hasn't reached the total hours since we can't add Future Time, so i still have to wait when it already passed 8-10hrs i guess. What is the best thing to do? 😞  Thank you in advance.

With manual time, you can enter the hours you actually worked on the project, so you don't have to wait any more hours before putting it in.

Hi Preston,  

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, noted on everything. 🙂  Though Im still pretty lost with some of upwork's system, but hopefully I get the hang of it soon.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths