🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First Bad Review - Next Steps
Page options
bettesolo
Community Member

First Bad Review - Next Steps

Hello Community,

I am new to Upwork and have completed a total of five jobs, four of which received five stars! My fifth job was a quick turn around, 250-word article. I finished the job and was asked to write two more pieces (in less than 24 hours). 

I completed the items for the client 15 hours ahead of the deadline and communicated that I was available to make edits or revise as needed. (I am eager to please new clients because of my newbie status in this community.)

My contract ended abruptly, I received payment, and then I saw this feedback (see below), receiving no further messages from the client.

I have issued the client a refund with my apologies. I wish that the client had communicated their dissatisfaction with the articles before posting such a review. 

Did I do the right thing by issuing the client a refund? 

Thank you. 

Feedback Client's feedback

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Only you can know if it was the right thing to do.  The public feedback will vanish after the refund has been processed, but the contract will count as unsuccessful in your metrics, thiswill probably cost you your Rising Talent status and eventually affect your JSS when you get it.

I am more concerned about some your other contracts. You were writing Google, Yelp etc reviews?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Only you can know if it was the right thing to do.  The public feedback will vanish after the refund has been processed, but the contract will count as unsuccessful in your metrics, thiswill probably cost you your Rising Talent status and eventually affect your JSS when you get it.

I am more concerned about some your other contracts. You were writing Google, Yelp etc reviews?

Editing reviews written by clients so that the company could post them to
their company website as testimonials. I edited grammar, spelling and
punctuation, and helped make the reviews look more polished. ##- Please
type your reply above this line -##

Elizabeth S wrote:
Editing reviews written by clients so that the company could post them to
their company website as testimonials. I edited grammar, spelling and
punctuation, and helped make the reviews look more polished. ##- Please
type your reply above this line -##

I think the client should have had the courage to come back to you on this, but if he or she feels that you have fallen down in some areas, it is always a good idea to check your work and your portfolio carefully to make sure you don't repeat the same mistakes with your next client.  

@ Elizabeth --

I reviewed your portfolio piece, and found the editing and proofreading to be weak. I also am surprised that you offer services as a "world-class" writer, but do not see what is wrong with this prominent part of your profile:  "Clients choose me with the expectation of delivering a world-class copywriting experience."

The client who is unhappy with your grammar may be a bit cowardly, but you might also consider that your skills are not quite what you believe them to be.

Thank you for your feedback. You’re right that that piece is weak and my
profile needs serious attention. Thank you for looking. ##- Please type
your reply above this line -##
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths