🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First Interview Invitations: Is This Legit?
Page options
kevinbaker94
Community Member

First Interview Invitations: Is This Legit?

Hey, everyone,

Sorry in advance for the super long post/question. I'm pretty new to Upwork, and, after sending out lots of proposals, I got 2 responses with invitations to interview. But, some of the stuff in their messages seemed like it could be completely fine or it could be against the Upwork TOS. I figured it would be better to ask here.

Both messages were basically the same "we liked you proposal, here is a link to set up your interview." Both messages had external links to OneDrive files (1 a PDF the other a JPEG) that was a flyer on how to set up my interview. The flyers were so similar, I'm not sure if they are a scam together of if it is just a template from Upwork. 

At the top of the flyers they had the project title. Then it said that their HR Department reviewed my profile and invited me to an online interview. Both interviews are supposed to be through Skype. It says I make a profile, then reach out to [name@whatever.com] on Skype with my name to set up the interview.

Then they list an interview code/entry code, the name of the director, and the interview director. The disclaimer at the bottom say:

#1: "MaksuryostaonlintcompletyouintervieprocessProjecjoposwilbremoveathOPOUFeiprocessedbUPWORtavoianforoapplicationcongestionCompletyour intervienowyohavbeingiveaopportunitamong other applicants. Best of Luck."

#2:

"Note that you have to add up the director as soon as you get this message and make sure you stay online to complete your interview process. This project will be removed as soon as the OPT-OUT Fee is processed by UPWORK to avoid any form of application's congestion. Complete your interview as you have been given an opportunity among other applicants. Best of Luck."

Since these are both so similar, and had links to outside the Upwork platoform, I wanted to be as cautious as possible. Is this what the normal interview invitations look like?

Thanks, all! I really appreciate your help.

Kevin

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gaspardjack
Community Member

It's a scam, no one will pay the opt-out fee for a freelancer they never worked with.

Getting Started on Upwork

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
e71cf63a
Community Member

Hi Kevin,

I've had similar situtaions with "clients" wanting to meet outside of UpWork and my gut instincts felt like something was off. I have tried to get some answers on how to spot these things and what to do but am having a hard time getting a response that is actually helpful. I'm not sure what to do either or if they are truly scams or not.

I wish I could be of more help but for now I'd go with your gut on these!

Best,

Shannon

gaspardjack
Community Member

It's a scam, no one will pay the opt-out fee for a freelancer they never worked with.

Getting Started on Upwork

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

JoanneP

Hi Kevin, 

Could you please send me a PM with more information by clicking on my name so I can check this for you? Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

I sent you a message with some additional info. Thank you so much for your help!

Kevin

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kevin B wrote:

Hey, everyone,

Sorry in advance for the super long post/question. I'm pretty new to Upwork, and, after sending out lots of proposals, I got 2 responses with invitations to interview. But, some of the stuff in their messages seemed like it could be completely fine or it could be against the Upwork TOS. I figured it would be better to ask here.

Both messages were basically the same "we liked you proposal, here is a link to set up your interview." Both messages had external links to OneDrive files (1 a PDF the other a JPEG) that was a flyer on how to set up my interview. The flyers were so similar, I'm not sure if they are a scam together of if it is just a template from Upwork. 

At the top of the flyers they had the project title. Then it said that their HR Department reviewed my profile and invited me to an online interview. Both interviews are supposed to be through Skype. It says I make a profile, then reach out to [name@whatever.com] on Skype with my name to set up the interview.

Then they list an interview code/entry code, the name of the director, and the interview director. The disclaimer at the bottom say:

#1: "MaksuryostaonlintcompletyouintervieprocessProjecjoposwilbremoveathOPOUFeiprocessedbUPWORtavoianforoapplicationcongestionCompletyour intervienowyohavbeingiveaopportunitamong other applicants. Best of Luck."

#2:

"Note that you have to add up the director as soon as you get this message and make sure you stay online to complete your interview process. This project will be removed as soon as the OPT-OUT Fee is processed by UPWORK to avoid any form of application's congestion. Complete your interview as you have been given an opportunity among other applicants. Best of Luck."

Since these are both so similar, and had links to outside the Upwork platoform, I wanted to be as cautious as possible. Is this what the normal interview invitations look like?

Thanks, all! I really appreciate your help.

Kevin

I don't even understand what they are trying to say. It's a scam, not sure for what. Maybe identity theft?

kevinbaker94
Community Member

Thanks, everyone, for your help! Now both of these positions were taken down for violating the Upwork TOS, so you were right that they were definitely scams.

Thanks, again, because now I know that these kinds of messages/flyers are not normal and should be flagged as innapropriate. They are definitely not the norm or a template from Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths