🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First Interview
Page options
elite_ggl
Community Member

First Interview

Hello, guys. I am new to here.

I've just applied one job, and the client replied so quickly and gave me the skype, asked me to discuss via skype, I am wondering if this is violiation or not.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
40fac38e
Community Member

Guang Lin G wrote:

I've just applied one job, and the client replied so quickly and gave me the skype, asked me to discuss via skype, I am wondering if this is violiation or not.

Thanks.

These changes apply to Section 7 of the User Agreement:

1. Professionals and clients may not request or share any contact information before a contract is started

Before a contract has started, professionals and clients won’t be able to ask for or share contact information with each other that would allow them to make contact outside of Upwork. This includes requesting or providing contact details in a profile, job post, proposal, invite, or message, which is an expansion from the current restriction on contact information sharing that was limited to just profiles and job postings. 

Update: Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information* before a contract is started, with one exception.  A client or freelancer may only share contact information if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

This change also provides more clarity on what constitutes contact information, which will include but not be limited to: 

• Phone number
  • Email address
  • Physical address
  • Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information
  • Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Upwork
  • Any information that would enable contact through social media, other website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

1. Users must conduct all pre-contract conversations (aka interviews) through the Upwork platform

As professionals and clients meet and engage on Upwork, they will need to maintain their communications - whether messages, phone, or video calls - through the Upwork platform until a contract has started. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
40fac38e
Community Member

Guang Lin G wrote:

Thanks.

These changes apply to Section 7 of the User Agreement:

1. Professionals and clients may not request or share any contact information before a contract is started

Before a contract has started, professionals and clients won’t be able to ask for or share contact information with each other that would allow them to make contact outside of Upwork. This includes requesting or providing contact details in a profile, job post, proposal, invite, or message, which is an expansion from the current restriction on contact information sharing that was limited to just profiles and job postings. 

Update: Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information* before a contract is started, with one exception.  A client or freelancer may only share contact information if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

This change also provides more clarity on what constitutes contact information, which will include but not be limited to: 

• Phone number
  • Email address
  • Physical address
  • Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information
  • Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Upwork
  • Any information that would enable contact through social media, other website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

1. Users must conduct all pre-contract conversations (aka interviews) through the Upwork platform

As professionals and clients meet and engage on Upwork, they will need to maintain their communications - whether messages, phone, or video calls - through the Upwork platform until a contract has started. 

Dear Nicholas, thank you for your reply.

Everything is clear.

I will keep the policy well.

Thanks.

how can I interview with a potential client on Upwork?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I've just applied one job, and the client replied so quickly and gave me the skype, asked me to discuss via skype, I am wondering if this is violation or not."

Guang Lin:
After you have been hired, you are welcome to communicate with the client via Skype or any other tool. But if you have not been officially hired yet, then you will want to use Upwork to communicate.

You can tell this prospective client:

"Yes, I would be happy to talk to via video-conferencing or with an audio-only call, as you prefer. If you look at the upper right hand corner of the Upwork Messages screen, you will see a phone icon. If you click on that you can call me."

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 1.41.19 PM.png

Dear Preston,

Thank you for your reply.

I had just run into another situation, which is that the client asked me to provide the mail for development(gitlab and firebase), before the contract has not been started yet.

In this case, may I give him my mail directly via upwork message channel?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Guang Lin G wrote:

Dear Preston,

I had just run into another situation, which is that the client asked me to provide the mail for development(gitlab and firebase), before the contract has not been started yet.

Thanks.

You can provide a GitHub portfolio but continue to communicate via Upwork. You are free to communicate via other apps only after being hired.

Guang Lin G wrote:

Dear Preston,

Thanks.

No you can't give him your email before hire.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths