🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First contact from potential client wants my ...
Page options
d548ab85
Community Member

First contact from potential client wants my phone number

I submitted a proposal and client sent message asking for my phone number to discuss. Should I trust this? To give my phone number right away before chatting. Being overly cautious here. This is my first proposal response.

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Richard, 

If you feel uncomfortable sending your number, you can let the client know that you would appreciate doing a video call to discuss the project further. 

I would be wary with clients who ask for information such as my address, and my phone number if we don't have a relationship yet. When I was freelancing, I shared my number with my client only after I have established a relationship with him, and a contract was in place. 

Since you are new, I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
d548ab85
Community Member

Thank  you so much. I appreciate your repsonse.

robin_hyman
Community Member

Hey Richard,

Welcome to Upwork!  If giving out your phone number makes you uncomfortable, there are so many other ways to conduct an interview call.  Upwork has a phone option but it doesn't always work.  I've done Google Hangouts (note many scammers use this option), Zoom, Skype and Blue Jeans calls with and without video.  

Good luck to you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths