🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First job - can‘t find a contract to click ag...
Page options
designpapst
Community Member

First job - can‘t find a contract to click against ...

Hi all,

I landed my first (small) job on upwork (hey!) and the client, (probably also new) told me in the messages that he chose me. So all agreed and good, but if I open up my app for "to start clicking time against it", there is no contract available (and it re-directs me to FIND WORK). Did I miss something or did my client did miss to press a button?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Michael,

Your client will need to send you an offer and once you've accepted the offer an official contract will be formed. You can share this guide with your client on how they can hire you. 

To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Michael,

Your client will need to send you an offer and once you've accepted the offer an official contract will be formed. You can share this guide with your client on how they can hire you. 

To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
designpapst
Community Member

Thank you, that helped! 🙂

Michael

asmatjan
Community Member

Hy,

I am new but i have submitted almost 20 proposal to get a job but not getting any project..any body here who can help me..please any one who can give me only 1 project i won't chare but i need first job and 5 star review only.

bluke1
Community Member

I have submitted a little more than you. I am beginning to think this platform is a scam. Every job that invites me to interview is "already removed" after they take my credits, or they will send me a like that allows them access to my phone(scammers)! I have not gotten 1 project in over 6 months and have 3 specific certifications, and 2 degrees pertaining to this work. I wish you the best of luck with your search, as I am having the same troubles. 

Breanna L wrote:

I have submitted a little more than you. I am beginning to think this platform is a scam. Every job that invites me to interview is "already removed" after they take my credits, or they will send me a like that allows them access to my phone(scammers)! 

You are not supposed to give anyone your contact information prior to being hired; that's a rule specifically designed to help keep new freelancers safe from scammers. You also might have more success if you changed your profile picture to something more professional-looking; a graduation photo just tells clients "I'm young and inexperienced", and makes you even more of a target for scammers.

It was not listed when I signed up that a graduation photo would subject me to scamming. I am actually being sent scam links via upwork messages. I am not violating any rules, the clients are. So due to the fact I have a graduation photo that captures a proud moment for me, I am young and gullible? Encouraging me to change my profile photo is helpful, but I do not see how it can be the reason I am being targeted for scams and not recieving any tasks. I did not expect to recieve such discrimination with this platform and have used this photo for various professional accounts. I will take this into consideration. Once my young and gullible photo changes, I will ensure to return here for more expert advice if I am still being targeted for scams and not recieving a single legit response. 
I would also like to add that if my photo was not being wrongly discriminated by, I may have possibly secured a task(based on your logic). I have successfully contracted with countless individuals and businesses to provide the same tasks. The difference is that many times, a photo of myself was not provided. It would not be legally or ethically intelligent for a business or individual to deny someone with qualifications for the task soley due to a photo of them. It is not an innappropriate photo, and I find the logic that it can make me look young OR gullible insulting. My age should not matter when being selected for a position, and my age does not make scamming me via UpWork legal or ethical. 

Breanna L wrote:
It was not listed when I signed up that a graduation photo would subject me to scamming. I am actually being sent scam links via upwork messages. I am not violating any rules, the clients are. So due to the fact I have a graduation photo that captures a proud moment for me, I am young and gullible? Encouraging me to change my profile photo is helpful, but I do not see how it can be the reason I am being targeted for scams and not recieving any tasks. I did not expect to recieve such discrimination with this platform and have used this photo for various professional accounts. I will take this into consideration. Once my young and gullible photo changes, I will ensure to return here for more expert advice if I am still being targeted for scams and not recieving a single legit response. 
I would also like to add that if my photo was not being wrongly discriminated by, I may have possibly secured a task(based on your logic). I have successfully contracted with countless individuals and businesses to provide the same tasks. The difference is that many times, a photo of myself was not provided. It would not be legally or ethically intelligent for a business or individual to deny someone with qualifications for the task soley due to a photo of them. It is not an innappropriate photo, and I find the logic that it can make me look young OR gullible insulting. My age should not matter when being selected for a position, and my age does not make scamming me via UpWork legal or ethical. 

You can be offended all you want, that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that you should present in the best possible and professional way. Some people have pictures with their kids or dogs, which is explicitely not allowed. But even if they were - are they adressing the right audience? If the client is looking for somebody writing mommy blogs, well, a picture with a baby might appeal to him. So, you need to keep your audience, your potential clients in mind. Are they looking for a person who presents professionally, or are they looking for a newbie to scam? A recent graduation picture, while it may have huge significance for you, might not be your best advertisement. You can argue that it shouldn't matter, but then you need to argue human psychology. That is a losing battle. You are better served understanding it and using it appropriately as your marketing tool.  

Human psychology tells me that a photo of a person is a photo of a person. The photo is of me, so the photo with children or dogs is irrelevant to my situation. I am fully aware of human psychology and business law and ethics as well. UpWork is a business that I am contracting with and regardless of my photo, I will not simply allow myself to be scammed or cheated in any way.
Also, just because you choose to assume this is a recent graduate photo does not mean you are correct. To say that a graduation cap alone makes me attract scammers and makes UpWork not filter their job postings shows that you need to consider business conduct, liabilites, and common sense. Before blantanly offering useless advice you should try looking at right versus wrong. Am I breaking the rules by having a CAP on? Are fake employers breaking rules and laws by scamming innocent, "gullible" people looking for tasks on UpWork? Seriously, aknowledge the real problems at hand  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Breanna L wrote:
Human psychology tells me that a photo of a person is a photo of a person. The photo is of me, so the photo with children or dogs is irrelevant to my situation. I am fully aware of human psychology and business law and ethics as well. UpWork is a business that I am contracting with and regardless of my photo, I will not simply allow myself to be scammed or cheated in any way.
Also, just because you choose to assume this is a recent graduate photo does not mean you are correct. To say that a graduation cap alone makes me attract scammers and makes UpWork not filter their job postings shows that you need to consider business conduct, liabilites, and common sense. Before blantanly offering useless advice you should try looking at right versus wrong. Am I breaking the rules by having a CAP on? Are fake employers breaking rules and laws by scamming innocent, "gullible" people looking for tasks on UpWork? Seriously, aknowledge the real problems at hand  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I never said that the graduation cap alone makes you attract scammers, I just said that it wasn't doing you any favours.

If what you've been doing for the past six months isn't working out for you, then perhaps it would be helpful to ask for advice instead of assuming that Upwork is nothing but a scam platform, but of course you know best.  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Asmat L wrote:

Hy,

I am new but i have submitted almost 20 proposal to get a job but not getting any project..any body here who can help me..

20 proposals is hardly anything; it takes most freelancers a lot more effort than that to get their first job. If you want to get graphic design work, then you're going to need a lot more proof of your skills than the one simple portfolio piece that you're currently showing; and if you're offering proofreading and editing services, your profile overview and proposals need to be completely free of errors (one example: it's "data entry" not "Data entery"). But I would suggest offering only one or two things that you're really skilled at, instead of trying to offer a lot of different services that you can only "sort of" do.

Asmat L wrote:

please any one who can give me only 1 project i won't chare but i need first job and 5 star review only.

The forum isn't for soliciting work, and you can't ask clients to give you 5-star feedback - you have to earn it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths