🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First job
Page options
dmitriy-92
Community Member

First job

Hi community users!

I am new at upwrork about 3 months and still can't get first job.

Maybe there is some tips for getting first job or there is something wrong with my profile.

Criticism is welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
emonuzzamanmd
Community Member

Hey, I have visited your profile. I think there are some areas where you need to make some improvement. Add some intro about yourself in your general profile. Try to add some additional information like your school or graduation. Try to put some info about your previous employee. I will advise you to visit some TopRated Freelancer profile in your skill area, gain some knowledge about a well-organized profile. Then make a good profile.

The next point is your cover letter. 

Never use a canned cover letter.

Read the job description before submitting a proposal. Try to add some portfolio or sample of your previous work which is related to the job description. Try to understand the client's requirements and according to the requirements write a cover letter. I think the cover letter is the key to get a job in upwork. Try response quickly when your client knocks you for interview. 

That's most of all. 

Best wishes for landing in your first job.

joansands
Community Member

I think you need to rewrite your introduction to your profile and focus and spell out what you can do for a client. The first two sentences are crucial in grabbing the interest of a potential client. What do your potential clients need the most? Spell out how you can fulfill that need.

nabes
Community Member

Dont sweat it Dmitry, I was on here and on Fiverr for about 3 months or so before I got my first job. Now Ive gotten a few from both sites and I keep applying for new ones, sometime it just effort, a good profile, solid cover letter and some smart work.

You will get there eventually!

Yeah, I think you should revise your profile introduction. Maybe if you have a native English speaker friend who could take a look that would be ideal. Besides, you could add some information in the education area. That sometimes helps when you don't have any prior jobs. However, I have seen profiles that are disastrous (even some which first line is just "Hello") and they still win jobs over others that are written perfectly, so it's not all about how good your profile is.

Since you work in the photo editing area I suggest you only apply to jobs that didn't get over 10 proposals already. Here, and in other platforms too, the photo editing area is overcrowded because many people who have a computer and take a few Adobe Photoshop tutorials call themselves "graphic experts" so you will find, for example, many cut out jobs, but they receive 50 proposals in a snap, and usually the freelancers who work for peanuts get them. Unfortunately, that's how it is.

mtngigi
Community Member

Dmitriy R wrote:

Hi community users!

I am new at upwrork about 3 months and still can't get first job.

Maybe there is some tips for getting first job or there is something wrong with my profile.

Criticism is welcome.

There are thousands upon thousands of freelancers here who do what you do, including the many thousands of graphic designers who also offer the same Photoshop skills as part of their overall experience. Some Upwork categories have become so over-saturated that it's not easy to stand out from the crowd. There are some doing what you do at a fraction of your hourly rate. I'm not saying you should lower it, but just stating facts.

And there's no need to use/waste the first sentence stating your name and what you do, that is already there at the top of your profile. It may or may not make a difference, but use those first few lines more to sell yourself more effectively. Those first few lines are all a client sees.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths