🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » First time UpWork client - Low Activity Level...
Page options
979b39e7
Community Member

First time UpWork client - Low Activity Levels?

Hi guys,

I currently have a contract started with a worker - she seems to be doing good work.. but I'm a little caught off guard at the amount of time she spends idle during her time working on my project..

For example, in the past hour - she was idle 27 of the 60 minutes.  

Is this normal? I'm cognicent that I do not believe most workers work all 60 minutes non-stop, whether on up work or in an office - but almost 50% of the time is idle?

So, I guess I'm just asking - is this your experience with hiring on upwork? Is this what I should expect? or should I say something?

3 REPLIES 3
hglewis
Community Member

Hello William.

William C wrote:

Hi guys,

I currently have a contract started with a worker - she seems to be doing good work.. but I'm a little caught off guard at the amount of time she spends idle during her time working on my project..

For example, in the past hour - she was idle 27 of the 60 minutes.  

Is this normal? I'm cognicent that I do not believe most workers work all 60 minutes non-stop, whether on up work or in an office - but almost 50% of the time is idle?

So, I guess I'm just asking - is this your experience with hiring on upwork? Is this what I should expect? or should I say something?

It is always best to have open communication with the freelancer regarding any concerns you may have. 

Also, depending on the type of work need such as writing, research is an area where it may appear the freelancer is idle when they are not.

So weigh out what the project entails, assess if the idleness in question is actually work getting done, and judge each situation on a case-by-case basis.

2a05aa63
Community Member

what kind of work is it?

Also, you need to know that if the freelancer starts working a 1:09 and the tracker screenshots it - it will show that they were "idle" for 9 minutes. While they worked tracker for only 1 minute.

But if they started at 1:00 and worked till 1:09 and turned off the tracker without a screenshot - it won't even show up in the diary. They worked for 9 minutes but it will show nothing!

prestonhunter
Community Member

William:
The best thing for clients to do in regard to work diaries and activity levels is to understand what they mean.

You already received great advice from others in this thread.

I would add:

Depending on the kind of work you are hiring for, you may be interested in reviewing work diaries and activity levels. Or you might NOT be. It is definitely not a requirement for effective clients.

Many clients will look at other measures.

For example, Eugene hires freelancers to create illustrations PowerPoint presentations.

He knows that Carolina, Sandra and Tina can all produce about 10 high-quality illustrations in one day, and that the cost to him is about the same.

He has observed that Jessica and Tandy can only produce about 5 illustrations in the same amount of time. Their hourly rates are all around the same. That means that Jessica and Tandy cost him about twice as much money when he gives them assignments.

As a result, this client usually assigns work to Carolina, Sandra, and Tina... He only assigns work to Jessica and Tandy when he is in a real time crunch and needs the extra help.

He has not actually looked at their activity levels. His evaluation of their work is based only on the files they have sent him.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths