cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fixed Price

Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
1 of 10

I was wondering if it is okay to utilize the time tracker for a fixed price job? I am suppose to start a job on tomorrow at a certain time exactly and there is no work to submit so i thought about tracking my time so the client can see that the work was done?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 10

I don't think that's a good idea - I believe a lot of things happen automatically when the time tracker is used. and that could really mess things up.

Your client will see that the work was done when you deliver on the milestones you've agreed to and the client has set up.

I'm sure a mod will come along to clarify and provide a definitive answer.

Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
3 of 10

Thank You Mrs. Virginia!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
4 of 10

@Virginia F wrote:

I don't think that's a good idea - I believe a lot of things happen automatically when the time tracker is used. and that could really mess things up.

Nothing horrible (other than screenshots being taken once in every 10 minute segment) happens automatically when you use the tracker on a fixed rate contract. It is not neccessary, but it does no harm either.

The client doesn't get charged and unless they accidentally stray to the work diary they'll likely never see it. Hours tracked on fixed rate contracts do not count towards Upwork hours, appear in no reports, and basically have no effect on anything.

I use the tracker at times for my own purposes on fixed rate contracts. It does no harm.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 10

Thanks for clarifying, Petra ... since I only work flat rate, I wasn't sure. I use my own software to track flat rate job hours. It helps to have that record and a place to store client information and other notes.

Lian Jenica D Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
6 of 10

Hi Petra,

I had my first project for a fixed price. Now my client asked me for another job which should be paid hourly. I keep track of my hours to show my client my work and I am using the upwork app. Now my client is asking me to send them a bill since I have been working for 2 weeks. I am mot sure if this is working. And another thing why is it my hours are not showing on my profile? And how do I get a review from my client for future projects. 

Thank you, 

Lian

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 10

@Lian Jenica D wrote:

Hi Petra,

I had my first project for a fixed price. Now my client asked me for another job which should be paid hourly. I keep track of my hours to show my client my work and I am using the upwork app. Now my client is asking me to send them a bill since I have been working for 2 weeks. I am mot sure if this is working. And another thing why is it my hours are not showing on my profile? And how do I get a review from my client for future projects. 

Thank you, 

Lian

Has your client changed the contract type to "Hourly"  OR has opened an additional hourly contract with you?

Logging time on a fixed rate contract does NOT work, it does not bill the client for the hours worked and does not increase your Upwork hours.

Go to your My Jobs page. What do you see? An hourly contract with that client? A fixed rate contract with that client? Both? Neither?

Lisa W Member Since: Nov 23, 2016
8 of 10

A company has verbally accepted my quote to revise the manuals and handbook. How do I ensure that I will be paid after the revision is made? Thanks.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 10

@Lisa W wrote:

A company has verbally accepted my quote to revise the manuals and handbook. How do I ensure that I will be paid after the revision is made? Thanks.

Don't do any work for them until they have set up a formal contract with Upwork. You should either work on an hourly basis with the tracker turned on, or as a fxed-rate job with the full amount you have agreed with the client funded as a milsestone into escrow. This latter also depends on how big a job it is. If it is for say, several hundred dollars, then your client might want to pay in several milestones. In which case, carefully assess how much work you will do for each milestone, which should be agreed with your client.

ETA: It really would help you if you read some of the basics about working on Upwork. Here is some essential information that will help you get going.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063418-Hourly-vs-Fixed-Price-Contract-Differences

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Lisa,

Please don't start working until your client send you a formal offer through Upwork and a contract is created after you discuss the terms, review and accept it. The new contract will show up under your My Jobs tab. It looks like you discussed setting up an Hourly contract, so please check this video and the following Help articles (here, here and here) to learn how to install and use the Upwork Desktop app in order to track your work and get paid on an Hourly contract.

Please also review the resources we've compiled here for the benefit of new users starting out on Upwork. Feel free to follow up if you have any questions regarding this or any other job, and we're looking forward to an update.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS