cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed price job: Submit work / Request payment button

luce-neidert
Community Guru

Helllo, I'm a bit confused: I just accepted a fixed price job. Do I have to click on the "Submit work / Request payment" green button?

I don't dare to do so to find out what happens... You never know!

Thanks for your help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
destiny99
Active

Hello!

You click the "Submit Work" button after you actually finish the work. They should have given you instructions, which you are supposed to follow in order to receive payment. Make sure that your client receives everything that they requested! After you're satisfied with your project, then you should press "Submit Work". You'll receive the option to send them a file, which they will review.

More information is on Upwork's Fixed Price article:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-my-Fixed-Price-Contracts

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
destiny99
Active

Hello!

You click the "Submit Work" button after you actually finish the work. They should have given you instructions, which you are supposed to follow in order to receive payment. Make sure that your client receives everything that they requested! After you're satisfied with your project, then you should press "Submit Work". You'll receive the option to send them a file, which they will review.

More information is on Upwork's Fixed Price article:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-my-Fixed-Price-Contracts

I am new to upworks and just finished my first job which was an hourly job and I also added manuel time because I am new I did not turn on the time tracker ever time I was working. The job is finished and I there is not "submit job to be paid" option under my Job orders tab ?  How do  I let upworks know to submit and invoice now ?

Donna K wrote:

I am new to upworks and just finished my first job which was an hourly job and I also added manuel time because I am new I did not turn on the time tracker ever time I was working. The job is finished and I there is not "submit job to be paid" option under my Job orders tab ?  How do  I let upworks know to submit and invoice now ?

No need, if you added your time correctly the client will be charged on Monday automatically.

Manual time is risky. If the client disputes or fails to pay, you will not be protected. It would be much better (safer) to track your time correctly in future unless you have a very established and trusting (both ways) relationship with your client.

benoitlussier
Ace Contributor

Hello, you don't have to click it. This button is only to send the final work to the client, and he wil receive a notification so that he can approve it and release the payment.

I rarely get to click it and for a while I even forgot it was there; I prefer to use the chat to discuss with the client, send files and confirm that he's satisfied, then the client closes the contract and releases the payment.

@Benoit L wrote:

Hello, you don't have to click it. This button is only to send the final work to the client, and he wil receive a notification so that he can approve it and release the payment.

I rarely get to click it and for a while I even forgot it was there; I prefer to use the chat to discuss with the client, send files and confirm that he's satisfied, then the client closes the contract and releases the payment.

It's *generally* better, especially for new freelancers, to submit using the "submit work/request payment" button because this clearly records that they think the milestone is completed and also starts the 14-day countdown for the funds to be released if the client has gone AWOL. Submitting work this way still allows the client to request changes if they are not happy with the product.

Of course, if your method is working for you, Benoit, then that's fine. But the system is set up to help protect freelancers and freelancers have the most protection if they use it as intended.

@Jennifer D wrote:

It's *generally* better, especially for new freelancers, to submit using the "submit work/request payment" button because this clearly records that they think the milestone is completed and also starts the 14-day countdown for the funds to be released if the client has gone AWOL. Submitting work this way still allows the client to request changes if they are not happy with the product.

Of course, if your method is working for you, Benoit, then that's fine. But the system is set up to help protect freelancers and freelancers have the most protection if they use it as intended.

I see what you mean, and you're absolutely right. I just prefer to keep a good communication with the client so they say "thank you, great work, I'll be happy to release the funds right away" as opposed to me saying "Please pay me now". Of course, if the client goes AWOL I still have the option to use the button to show Upwork that I completed the work. If I can give Upwork 14 days to force the client to pay me, I figure I can give the client an extra 2-3 days if I can afford it in the time allowed for the project. 

I know what the assignment is when I accept a fixed-price contract.

When I finish the work, I use the green button to submit the work.

Up to that time, I have been in communication with the client regarding progress on the project. I provide the client with continual real time access to the work in progress. So using the green button to submit work (for me) is rarely about providing the client with anything she doesn't already have. It is about marking the project as finished and indicating that it is time to release payment.

This way of doing fixed-price contracts isn't right for everyone, but it works well for me.

Thank you everyone. Good thing I didn't press that button! Smiley Wink

Sorry for the interrupt Mr.Benoit,

so I don't have to submit files via submit work / request payment button so the client can release the payment directly?
as I submitted work files via upwork messages and client reviewed them and said all is ok and will release my payment!
it's okay to submit via upwork messages?

It's okay, yes. It just doesn't protect you, and it doesn't start the clock running so that payment will automatically be released if the client doesn't release it. It's totally up to the client whether to pay you and when if you don't use the button.

I've heard freelancers who have been fortunate and have always had clients release payment promptly without the freelancer using the submit button. But nobody should rely on good fortune. There is no good reason to not use the official button... Just in case the client disappears.

Hello,

It is true... Since the discussion, file exchange and submitting the work can be done via upwork chat/messaging (more practical), clicking on the "submit work/ request payment" button won't be necessary. Then, it would be much easier for the client to release the payment if they are satisfied with the work.

@Hussein K wrote:

Hello,

It is true... Since the discussion, file exchange and submitting the work can be done via upwork chat/messaging (more practical), clicking on the "submit work/ request payment" button won't be necessary. Then, it would be much easier for the client to release the payment if they are satisfied with the work.

It's far more practical to submit it using the button that exists specifically to make this task practical, for both yourself AND for your client. When you do it that way, the timer starts on the 2 weeks the client has to review your work, and you get paid automatically if the client does nothing. Also, it's much easier for your client to approve. Use the button, it makes everyone's life easier.