🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Fixed price
Page options
katrina_707
Community Member

Fixed price

I have a quick question as this is my first time here in Upwork. The job post is $350 fixed price and this is the requirement: "You can do other work while doing this one, you can do it simultaneously. You are required to reply within less than 30 seconds to a chat message and do 10 hours shifts."

Does it mean I have to work 10hrs a day? Do I need to use a time tracker or will the client know if, for example, I work less than 10hrs? Please enlighten me. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Katrina:
I don't know anything about this particular job or client, but let me point out a general concept:

Mixing concepts from the fixed-price and hourly contract models is never a good idea, and usually ends up badly for the freelancer.

This is what is known as a "scheme."

Think about what YOU would do, if YOU were hiring people. Would YOU do something like this?

A wise freelancer avoids schemes.

If a legitimate client wants to hire me to do a specific task and pay me a specific amount, she will use a fixed-price contract.

If a legitimate client wants to pay me for my time, she will use an hourly contract.

If a client wants to hire you to provide customer support, I think there are better ways to do so which would present a win-win scenario for both client and freelancer. These include ways that could save the client money and avoid paying a freelancer a lot of money for idle time, yet be more fair and reasonable for the freelancer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
joostdoevelaar
Community Member

Sounds like a strange job to be fair. Because the time tracker on Upwork only ensures that you get paid hourly (meaning you have agreed a hourly rate instead of a flat fee what you have here. It does sound like the customer wants you to "be available" for 10 hours but doesn't mind if you do other work while being available. 

As long mind you, you respond to those chat messages in a 30 second period. I don't know how many 10 hour shifts you'd have to do for 350 dollars but I'd be cautious if I were you. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Katrina Emily C wrote:

I have a quick question as this is my first time here in Upwork. The job post is $350 fixed price and this is the requirement: "You can do other work while doing this one, you can do it simultaneously. You are required to reply within less than 30 seconds to a chat message and do 10 hours shifts."

Does it mean I have to work 10hrs a day? Do I need to use a time tracker or will the client know if, for example, I work less than 10hrs? Please enlighten me. 

Katrina,

IMO, every red flag is  raised on this one. The conditions are draconian and ridiculous. And what does the $350 fixed price cover? My strong advice to you is to read every help page on starting out on Upwork before accepting any job. 

ETA: This thread is at the top of "New to Upwork" page and it is to help you: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

Katrina:
I don't know anything about this particular job or client, but let me point out a general concept:

Mixing concepts from the fixed-price and hourly contract models is never a good idea, and usually ends up badly for the freelancer.

This is what is known as a "scheme."

Think about what YOU would do, if YOU were hiring people. Would YOU do something like this?

A wise freelancer avoids schemes.

If a legitimate client wants to hire me to do a specific task and pay me a specific amount, she will use a fixed-price contract.

If a legitimate client wants to pay me for my time, she will use an hourly contract.

If a client wants to hire you to provide customer support, I think there are better ways to do so which would present a win-win scenario for both client and freelancer. These include ways that could save the client money and avoid paying a freelancer a lot of money for idle time, yet be more fair and reasonable for the freelancer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths