🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Flagging a job post
Page options
jacintomajo
Community Member

Flagging a job post

Hi. I sent a proposal to someone who replied back and asked me to connect with him via his email. When I declined, he told me that it was appropriate. I flagged the post and stated my reasons. Will this be sufficient action on my part, I hope? Thanks!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MaJosefina:

You are NOT WRONG to be suspicious.

A brand new client account with no track record? You're right to be suspicious.

Asking you for your email address? You're right to be suspicious.

Wanting to interview you off of the Upwork platform? You're right to be suspicious.

So, yes... Be cautious. Or stop communicating with this client.

But you can't flag or report a client for doing any of these things. Because none of these things violate Upwork ToS.

If you have questions, feel free to come back here to discuss what's going on. We'll give you advice. But don't flag the client. Don't report the client. Don't contact Customer Service about the client.

...UNTIL he actually violates Upwork ToS.

If you're not comfortable providing your email address, then tell him that you only communicate using the Upwork messaging tool until a contract is in place. Or create a dedicated/special-purpose email address used just for this project.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Hi. I sent a proposal to someone who replied back and asked me to connect with him via his email. When I declined, he told me that it was appropriate. I flagged the post and stated my reasons. Will this be sufficient action on my part, I hope? Thanks!"

MaJosefina:

You sent a proposal, and the client asked to contact you via email.

Then you flagged the job post.

You must not do this.

The client did not violate any Upwork ToS.

Upwork allows freelancers to communicate with clients and potential clients via email and other forms of communication.

I know you did not intentionally do anything wrong, but this is an important principle for you to understand: When you flag jobs which do not violate Upwork ToS, then it causes problems because it takes time and resources away from Upwork being able to investigate actual problems.

Sufficient action for what? What is your end goal?

As Preston mentioned, there are no issues with using other communication channels (including email) outside of Upwork's messaging platform. As long as the client isn't looking to use the platform to find connections and then circumvent Upwork's billing system, there shouldn't be any issues.

Thanks,

James B.

**Edited for community guidelines**

To me, someone that asks for my e-mail right away is a bit suspicious. Usually, they have very good reason to try to get to talk outside of Upwork. Upwork is a very good platform, and you don't need to use your personnal mail.

Thank you. Setting up an interview to me doesn't require use of an outside platform. It seemed like he wanted to circumvent the process. Again, I'm new. A newbie mistake? Smiley Happy

My apologies for doing so. Reading the rules, I thought that all communications must be through the platform. I have not yet engaged with the client. He wanted to set up an interview but through his own email. His profile also indicates that he is new (2 days old) with no verified payment. 

Thank you for the head's up. I'm just learning my way around. 

In most cases you don't need to use anything but upwork. You can send all sort of huge files with Upwork, just tell him so. 

MaJosefina:

You are NOT WRONG to be suspicious.

A brand new client account with no track record? You're right to be suspicious.

Asking you for your email address? You're right to be suspicious.

Wanting to interview you off of the Upwork platform? You're right to be suspicious.

So, yes... Be cautious. Or stop communicating with this client.

But you can't flag or report a client for doing any of these things. Because none of these things violate Upwork ToS.

If you have questions, feel free to come back here to discuss what's going on. We'll give you advice. But don't flag the client. Don't report the client. Don't contact Customer Service about the client.

...UNTIL he actually violates Upwork ToS.

If you're not comfortable providing your email address, then tell him that you only communicate using the Upwork messaging tool until a contract is in place. Or create a dedicated/special-purpose email address used just for this project.

image.png

In 2021, I would believe that asking for contact information, which includes an email address, phone number, or app ID (WhatsApp/Skype) before the start of a contract, is a violation of Upwork's ToS.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Omar:

You are correct.

The rule changed on June 26, 2020.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths