🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Following up with clients (2 scenarios)
Page options
hskinner913
Community Member

Following up with clients (2 scenarios)

Hi - Two different questions.

I finished a job for a client in which they gave me great feedback, via messenger, and even asked if I wanted to do work in the future. They have not closed the job though? I know I will get paid, but do you typically follow back up with them after 3 days? A week?

Also any advice on reaching out to clients that you submitted a job too? Not even sure if you can send a message, but trying to see if they are still interested. 

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

Congrats first of all, but when you say "they gave me great feedback", you must mean they made nice comments in messaging, but they didn't close the contract and leave you a star rating and verbal comments that show up in your work history. In this case, you could politely ask once if they can close the contract. You could even mention that since you're new, it's great when clients close the contract so their feedback will be added to your job history, though not in a way that you guilt-trip the client into closing the contract. And give the client some time to do this themselves without prompting, like a week at least. They might just be busy and haven't gotten around to it yet.

As to following up with clients in case they have additional work, some freelancers do this and I suppose it wouldn't hurt, though I've never done so myself, but it's something to do sparingly because you don't want to pester a client.

I would follow-up the next day and give your client a kind reminder to please close out the contract. 

As for submittals, if they become active candidacies and they have reached but then you never heard again, I would follow-up. Youll either hear from them or not at all after that. I have followed up in the past in candidacies where we left the convo open and surprisingly some of them turned into jobs.

Lila
kat303
Community Member

Heather S wrote:

Hi - Two different questions.

I finished a job for a client in which they gave me great feedback, via messenger, and even asked if I wanted to do work in the future. They have not closed the job though? I know I will get paid, but do you typically follow back up with them after 3 days? A week?

Yes, you can follow up with the client asking them to close the contract letting them know that when they close a contract it will show up on your profile as a completed job and that will improve your ability to get more jobs. 

Also any advice on reaching out to clients that you submitted a job too? Not even sure if you can send a message, but trying to see if they are still interested. 

If you're referring to reaching out to a client after you've submitted a proposal, then NO you can't contact them. The only way you can contact a client is when they contact you first, or if you've worked with them before. 

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths